Lumia 820 Wi-Fi WILL NOT CONNECT AT ALL

I've recently bought the "new Nokia Lumia 820 with Windows Phone", and it just won't connect to my wi-fi network at home. Let me tell you that I love this phone, but this issue is totally unacceptable since my 3G plan will not last forever. The WiFi works in my friend's house and few other places, but it JUST WON'T CONNECT in my house. What I HAVE tried is

• almost all combinations of wifi settings
  • resetting the phone (but not to a fresh reset; I only used my backup)
  • many attempts to connect
  • taking it to the care centre, where they told me that the phone is fine and also managed to connect it to their WiFi and made me look like a **bleep**
  • connecting other devices like my brother's Galaxy S2 (which connects IMMEDIATELY) and my laptop (which also connects easily)
  • different (and simpler) SSIDs and passwords
  • restarting the phone/wifi option and then trying again
  • updating the router's firmware
  • check the hidden networks tab and try to add it as a hidden network
  • reset the router to factory settings

I don't know what the Windows Phone OS does when it tries to connect to my network, but this is the error it gives me:

"Connection unsuccessful.

Your phone couldn't connect to the WiFi network ***** because there was no response from the network. Please try again later."

-OR-

Unnecessarily gives me a password incorrect message and then:

"Your phone couldn't reach the WiFi network ****".

My router model is DLink DSL-2750U and these are my WiFi settings on it:

Basic:

Hide Access Point: OFF

Client Isolation: OFF

SSID isolation: OFF

Max. Clients: 16

Security:

Enable WPS: OFF

Network Authentication: WPA-Personal

out of Auto, WAP2 only and WPA only, I've selected Auto

WPA/WAPI Encryption: TPIK+AES

WPA Group Rekey Interval:0

MAC Filter:

I've added my phone's MAC address correctly and set the filter to allow; no luck.

Advanced:

there are a lot of settings under this, and the problem still persists even on the defaults.

I've set the channel to "Auto" out of 1-9.

Standard Mode is 802.11ng. It still gives me the error if I select 802.11b/g.

Bandwidth is on 20MHz. The Auto option in this doesn't help.

Station Info:

In this, I can see my phones MAC address, but for some reason the associated column is left blank.

MAC

**.**.**.**.**.**.** 

Associated

SSID

Interface

wl0 

That's it. I don't want to be replacing my phone as it's only been a month since I bought it.

Please, oh please, come up with a solution and THANK YOU for reading!!

Answer
Answer

Hi ChristianBrein

Thank you for posting and welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! :Cool:

If you face such issue, try the following:

1.  Move closer to a WLAN access point to get a better WLAN signal.

2.  If possible, try to create a connection with some other device that supports WLAN (to see that access point is really working).

3.  Restart/reset the WLAN access point, and try to create a connection again.

4.  If some manufacturer specific network mode (Turbo/Nitro/Super/Afterburner/108/SRX) is used, disable it and try the basic modes 802.11b/g/n.

5.  Check that DHCP (dynamic host configuration protocol) is activated in the WLAN access point.

6.  Set the WLAN access point to SSID visible mode (at least temporarily) to check that the Lumia phone finds your WLAN access point properly, and to prevent SSID typing mistakes.

7.  On the router, remove the WLAN security settings temporarily, and try to create a WLAN connection from the phone without any security settings first. WPA2 (AES) is currently the strongest form of security offered by WiFi products, and is recommended for all uses, choose WPA2 with AES (do not use TKIP).

• If you have older WiFi devices on your network that do not support WPA2 Personal (AES), select WPA/WPA2 Mixed Mode. This mode will allow newer devices to use the stronger WPA2 AES encryption, while still allowing older devices to connect with older WPA TKIP encryption.
  • If your WiFi router doesn't support WPA/WPA2 Mixed Mode, then WEP128 with Shared Authentication should be used (with a single WEP key in key index 1).

8.  Check that you do not have MAC (Media Access Control) address filtering on in the access point settings. If your WLAN network uses MAC address filtering for security, you will need to know the MAC address for your phone, and then add it to the access list for that network before you can connect. To find the MAC address for your phone, do the following:

1. Press Start, then swipe left to the App list.
2. Select Settings > About > More Info.
3. Then note the MAC address.

9.  If there are many WLAN access points nearby, try to use a different wireless channel in your WLAN access point. Select channel 1, 6, or 11 to optimize wireless performance.

10. Check if there is a software update available for your WLAN router.

11. If you are using a public WLAN access point, it is possible that all IP addresses are in use. Try to create a connection again later.

12. On your Lumia phone, delete non functioning WLAN access point (internet connection) and connect it again:

1. Disconnect the WLAN connection if connected.
2. Press Start, then swipe left to the App list.
3. Select Settings > WiFi.
4. Press Advanced at the bottom of the screen.
5. Tap and hold on the access point name and select Delete.
6. Now add the access point again.
7. On the Advanced screen, tap Add , type the network name in the Network name box, and then tap Add.
8. On the Sign in screen, type the password in the Password box, and then tap Done.
9. Tap the Back key once finished.

If my post helped you, please don't forget to click on the "White Star" and if it resolved your issue click on "Accept as Solution" :smileywink:

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 29, 2024 Views 5,108 Applies to: