lsass.exe system error password not valid - system keeps rebooting

I was hoping someone could give me ANY direction to resolving this issue. I am getting the lsass.exe system error, password not valid. Here is what has transpired:

I have a Dell Laptop (Latitude). It performed an automated Windows update overnight and rebooted. When I got up the next morning, there was a black screen saying the system32/system file was missing or corrupt. After reading posts on this and other forums, I ran chkdsk /r twice and then replaced the registry file (system) - by going back to an earlier system restore point. After doing this, I rebooted. After doing this, it started to boot as normal, but came to an error (lsass.exe) stating that my administrative password was incorrect. I have never created an administrative password. I attempted to go into the Recovery Console (using the original Dell Installation CD that I have) and could not get past the prompt where I am asked for the administrative password. (I tried just hitting enter, it says invalid password.) After 3 attempts, the system reboots. I have attempted to log in as last good config, safe mode...nothing works. I also just attempted to select Set Up Windows XP and then Repair, instead of going into R for Repair Console as I had been doing. It did go through the repair process, but after rebooting, the same lsass.exe error appeared. At this point, I have no way to access Windows & no way to access the Recovery Console, so I do not know how to perform any type of repair solution that is offered under any of these threads. My computer is just in a perpetual rebooting sequence...boot, lsass.exe error, reboot & repeat. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Question Info

Last updated September 4, 2019 Views 3,900 Applies to:
Is that Isass (eye sass) with a capital I or lsass (el sass) with a lowercase l?

Please give us the complete text of the error message.

In the meantime:

4 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

i am getting the error Lsass.exe system error where it ststes the password i have entered is incorrect. sorry, i dont have the exact wording.

Sorry this didn't help.

If I understand you, you did everything by the book. Although you can probably reset your Administrator account password (this page has good information), I'm not sure how much this will help you in the long run since you have already run chkdsk /r and were able to revert to an earlier restore point.

It is quite possible you have some very bad malware.

If I were you, this is what I would do:

Create a bootable antivirus/antimalware disk. Instructions are here:

Copy all your data to an external hard drive if you have not done so already. If you need to do this, create a live Linux CD:

or

You can boot off the CD and copy your data to an external hard drive.

Once everything is backed up, boot off the System Sweeper CD you earlier created. Hopefully that will remove the malware and allow you to boot into Windows.

If no joy, you might as well perform a Clean Install.

Sorry this didn't help.