lsass.exe application error the application failed to initialize (0xc0000005)"

"lsass.exe application error the application failed to initialize (0xc0000005)" on an XP Pro Dell desktop.

I read all of the responses for this problem.
It left me confused.
I am not a guru of PC's (just mainframes)
I am from the old school.
I just want to fix this problem after trying all of the F8 approach.
I am about to pay someone to start all over with an HD wipe and OS install up tp SP3.

Or... I just may jump to the 'other side' altogether! (My son never has these kinds of problems with his Apple/Mac but only complains about not enough software and comes to me for solutions he cant find.)

I have been studying this XP-OS on a Dell for a couple days and now know enough to be dangerous.

Also, this problem showed up after applying a couple of MS serious fixes?

I do not yet know how to get to the BIOS.  I am not technically strong yet (but will be by necessity).

How can I download needed fixes with a blank screen?

I have never attempted a reinstall of XP.

I have the following CD's:
* Reinstallation CD MS Win XP Home (including SP1)
   (Currently up to SP3)
* Application: for Reinstalling Dell Tools System Software
* Dell Dimension Resource CD

Dell has 2 partitions: C:\ (system software, Windows, etc.),  and D:\ (all my data, etc.)

So.......there you have it.   And, of course, would sincerely appreciate your help.

And so.......I promise to give back once I find something to give back.

It's great to have anyone on 'this side of the fence'!   (my son is still laughing  -  %^$#@!)

Question Info

Last updated January 1, 2019 Views 10,026 Applies to:
Answer
Answer
trikericy,
     Unfortunately there are numerous things that can cause this issue, including viruses.  Typically pressing F2 when a Dell system is powering on will get you into the BIOS.  But you may need to verify that with Dell for your particular model. 

If you are able to boot from the reinstallation disk and enter Recovery Console, then you can run the following commands to see if they will help clearing this up.

Chkdsk /r

sfc /scannow

If the recovery disk provided do not offer the recovery console or those items do not clear it up, then you can perform a factory restore to reload Windows.  You will need to check with Dell about the recovery options that they offer.  However since you have 2 drives it looks like all your data will be safe and it will just be a matter of reinstalling programs.  If you do a factory restore, then I would suggest updating Windows prior to reinstalling the applications.

Hope this helps out. 

Mike - Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.
Mike

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.