LSA Registry entry creates Event Log error (Windows 10 Home)

Hi Folks

I've been in touch with Mcafee Support to uninstall TrueKey, but it has left a Windows registry entry that they (nor I) can get rid of.

The registry entry is: "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa\Notification Packages"

and it contains:

"scecli

"C:\Program Files\TrueKey\McAfeeTrueKeyPasswordFilter""

Because TrueKey and all its folders have been removed (and all Mcafee registry entries by Support), Windows (at start-up) can't find the DLL and flags the following Administrator Event Alert in my log:

"The password notification DLL "C:\Program Files\TrueKey\McAfeeTrueKeyPasswordFilter" failed to load with error 126. Please verify that the notification DLL path defined in the registry, HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa\Notification Packages, refers to a correct and absolute path (<drive>:\<path>\<filename>.<ext>) and not a relative or invalid path. If the DLL path is correct, please validate that any supporting files are located in the same directory, and that the system account has read access to both the DLL path and any supporting files.  Contact the provider of the notification DLL for additional support. Further details can be found on the web at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=245898."

My question is:

Can I safely delete the "Notification Packages" registry entry under "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa\" and do you think this will resolve the problem I have with Administrator Event Log Alerts?

I have no idea how the above registry entry was created (TrueKey or Windows), but I would like to be rid of the logs it creates.

Any help appreciated.

Answer
Answer

In this case, we highly suggest that you post your query on this forum to get in touch with the IT professionals who are well-versed to issues like this. You should be in good hands.

Regards.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 1, 2024 Views 2,380 Applies to: