low performance when battery is disconnected

Performance is reduced drastically when i disconnect my laptop battery, i have to disconnect it because its getting too swollen and i fear it will blow up. So, is windows reducing performance because its not detecting any battery? Or do my laptop needs the battery to perform fully? Here are the specs

Processor Intel Core i7-6700HQ(Intel Core i7)

Graphics adapterNVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M

Memory

8 GB DDR4-2133 SO-DIMM, 1 of 2 slots in use, Dual-Channel, max. 16 GB

Display

15.6 inch 16:9, 1920 x 1080 pixel 141 PPI, LGD0519, IPS, glossy: no

Mainboard

Intel HM170 (Skylake PCH-H)

Storage

Adata IM2S3138E-128GM-B, 128 GB 

, + Seagate Momentus ST2000LM003, 1 TB HDD @ 5400 rpm. Slots: 1x M.2 & 1x 2.5-inch

Battery

61.5 Wh Lithium-Ion, 3 cells

Hello,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

• Who is the manufacturer of the computer?

• When the battery was taken out, was the power plan setting changed?

• What is the current BIOS version running on your computer? If the BIOS is outdated, please get in touch with the computer manufacturer and get the BIOS updated.

Disclaimer:Modifying BIOS/ complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring of BIOS/CMOS settings can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk. 

Since the battery is swollen, I suggest you to get the battery replaced.

There should not be any low performance issue, if the battery is removed from the laptop. I suggest you to the inbuilt troubleshooter for Power and have a check with the issue.

• Press Windows logo key + I to open Settings.

• Select Update & Security.

• Click on Troubleshoot.

• Select Power and run the troubleshooter.

Please check with the Power plan settings from control panel and restore the plan to default settings. If you still face the same issue, I suggest you to create a new power plan, then check with issue.

Follow the steps mentioned below to create a new power plan.

1. Press Windows logo key + R and type control panel, click on OK.

2. Click on Power options.

3. Click on Create a Power plan.

4. Select an option from Balanced, Power saver and High performance, name the plan and click Next to continue.

5. Change the sleep and display setting if needed, and hit Create to finish the task and have a check with the issue.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Noor Azam S

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 12, 2019 Views 373 Applies to: