long running script window 7

When I am in Internet explorer or any site I receive a "Long running Script" message, not sure what this is nor why this is occurring.  Never had this issue until the past six or so  months, nine out of ten times it is followed with a message stating the site is not responding & will shut down,  this  includes Internet Explorer.   Any answers to why this is happening and how to stop this ??

Question Info

Last updated November 27, 2019 Views 4,259 Applies to:

Hello,

Based on the information you have provided in your post, we need to do further investigation. To assist you better, we'd like to know the following:  

• Were there any recent changes on your device?  

• Were there any external devices connected to your computer when it happened?  

• Have you recently installed any software?  

• What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?  

We'll keep an eye out for your response.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thank your for your quick response.  

This issue  has been going on for over a year, usually when I click into a site of interest .  Recently, on occasion, this has occurred when I have been on internet explorer, I have no issues in my Outlook Mail.   I have attempted to research as to what causes the problem and how to resolve but not been a computer geek I am insecure to attempt any of the fixes.  My desktop is only a little over a year old so there should not be any problems with it.  About six months ago I had connected an  external back up battery   due to frequent power outages and power drops during our winter storms.  I also have an external "Passport" backup, this is a recent add on.  I have not added any new software except Quicken, this was done shortly after purchasing my computer. 

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

We appreciate your response. The possible cause of this issue is due to a lot of cookies and cache on the browser. Let's try to reset Internet Explorer settings and check if the issue still persists.

Once you're done, update us with the result.

Sorry this didn't help.

Is it just a certain WWW site or all WWW sites? 

If it was a problem with your system you would see the problem on all sites (that use scripts).

I'm pretty sure that there is not going to be much you can do about that message because the problem is not with your system.

The script that is running slow is a script on the WWW page you are visiting and Internet Explorer is letting you know that it is waiting for the script on the WWW page to finish... and it is taking a long time.  It could be the WWW site it slow, the script they wrote has some errors or it poorly written.  It is their problem, not your problem.

How about this site (the MS Answers site) - does it generate the same error message?

If it is not an invasion of your privacy you should provide the link/URL to the WWW page you are visiting when you see the message.

Since we can't see what you are seeing you should provide a screenshot of the message and this link tells you how to include a screenshot in your post

How to include a screenshot if your post

IE has some options that allow you to disable those messages and it will not make things run faster or fix errors in the scripts on the WWW page you are visiting but you won't see the messages anymore.

In your Internet Options these adjustments are very common to prevent those annoying popups about problems on WWW sites that have those issues:

It won't "fix" the problem because the problem is not with your system - it is with the WWW site you are visiting.

But you won't see the messages anymore.

Internet Explorer is one of the worst browsers on the planet so you can consider other popular free alternatives like:

Firefox

Google Chrome

You can still use IE if you want to or have to and you can have all three installed on your system at the same time.

None of that will fix the script problem on the WWW pages you are visiting though.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.