LogMeIn.Inc: I had a phone call from a company saying they were a microsoft security advisor called logMeIn.Inc

This morning I had a phone call from a company saying they were a microsoft security advisor called logMeIn.Inc. They said they had been contacted by microsoft because on an update they had spotted malware/spyware on my computer. I explained it had up to date McAfee security and was running well. They said it wouldn't detect these files. They took me into a registry and showed me dozens of PF files that they said were all spyware. They wanted to clean my computer, free of charge. I said I would contact McAfee and microsoft before I let anyone near my computer remotely. McAfee did a security check and said no problems. So now I am contacting microsoft. Are logMeIn used by microsoft, is my computer safe, are these PF files just there to allow windows to respond quicker or are they malicious. Have they tried to con me? logmeIn certainly exists as a company, but perhaps there sales pitch might be a bit extreme? 

Answer
Answer
Read the very first item in this forum: Don't fall for phony tech support .
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-AU/w7security/thread/e5576f0a-827e-4fc0-a4b1-707add212065

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer
On Tue, 29 Jun 2010 11:54:01 +0000, jsc55 wrote:

> This morning I had a phone call from a company saying they were a microsoft security advisor called logMeIn.Inc. They said they had been contacted by microsoft because on an update they had spotted malware/spyware on my computer. I explained it had up to date McAfee security and was running well. They said it wouldn't detect these files. They took me into a registry and showed me dozens of PF files that they said were all spyware. They wanted to clean my computer, free of charge. I said I would contact McAfee and microsoft before I let anyone near my computer remotely. McAfee did a security check and said no problems. So now I am contacting microsoft. Are logMeIn used by microsoft, is my computer safe, are these PF files just there to allow windows to respond quicker or are they malicious. Have they tried to con me? logmeIn certainly exists as a company, but perhaps there sales pitch might be a bit extreme?

Two points:

1. You are *not* contacting Microsoft. This is a peer support forum.
We are all just Windows 7 users here, helping each other if and when
we can. We are not Microsoft employees (not even those of us with
"Microsoft MVP" behind our names; that's an honorary title for having
provided consistently helpful advice) except for an occasional
employee.

2. However, even if not Microsoft, I can tell you for sure: this is a
well-known scam. Do not let those people do *anything* on your
computer.

Ken Blake

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated January 22, 2024 Views 3,753 Applies to: