Logging in to Win 11 with Microsoft Account

I do not know who in his wisdom decided to make it mandatory to log into Win 11 with a Microsoft account - my hotel wifi requires an additional step to connect to the internet. So I am now unable to work offline on my laptop

Hi MengHuan1

I am Dave, I will help you with this.

It is true that you need to use a Microsoft Account to set up Windows 11, but you can then change that account back to a local account not associated to a Microsoft Account after Windows 11 is set up.

Open the Settings App, then go to Accounts - Your Info

There, you should find an option to 'Stop using this account to automatically log into apps'

Selecting that option will change the account to a local account.

Power to the Developer!

MSI GV72 - 17.3", i7-8750H (Hex Core), 32GB DDR4, 4GB GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, 256GB NVMe M2, 2TB HDD

13 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

If you need to then you can look into your phone's wifi and data sharing use. It should have a setting where you can use it as a host and then connect your computer to it and connect to the internet and hopefully then just sign in using your phone's data plan and then switch it over.

In addition to this and Dave's ideas, there's probably other ways around whatever is happening.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Dave

It would be nice for Microsoft to notify users of this (setting a local account) before 'forcing' everyone to log in using Microsoft Account. This requirement started several days before I ran into my problem. I noted that every time I log in using the Microsoft account a pop up will appear to ask me to set up a PIN, but the setup fails every time and a box says 'try again next time'.

The hotel wifi requires you to 'sign in to connect' so I was without internet access, I was not able to log in using my Microsoft Account, the circle kept going round and round. I had to leave the hotel and drive around looking for free internet wifi before I was able to go online and search for a solution. BTW I also found a solution to setting up the PIN.

Suffice to say I miss my Zoom meeting and I am on my first out of office assignment........ Microsoft needs to consider this when pushing out changes without considering the impact on users. In that 30 minutes before my meeting was due to start I even considered going out to buy a Mac. I don't know if anyone in management looks at this discussion

23 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 28, 2024 Views 5,162 Applies to: