Logged into temporary profile on Windows 10

Hi, I can't seem to be able to log on into my regular account. I come to the welcome screen, then enter my password. It takes a while to load the desktop and ALL my settings are gone, although when I go into Users/.../Desktop, I have everything safe. 

I only know about it being a temporary profile  because it says so in the settings. I am using Sony Vaio VPCCA17FX, which I recently upgraded from 8.1 to windows 10 using the media creation tool. It was working fine since the install, I only faced this problem today after around 2 weeks of installation. Please help!

Edit: I rebooted my system, for around 45 minutes it was stuck on the "Welcome"loading screen after entering the password... Then it is showing me "The group policy client service failed the sign-in, The universal unique identifier (UIUD) type is not supported"

Also, startup(upto the log in screen) takes quite a while.
I also tried the solutions in http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start/cant-sign-into-regular-account-logged-into/5b6e689f-182b-4f49-9fd7-fd9b32d478e6

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Anand,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

Let’s boot in Safe Mode and see if the issue persists.

1. At the login screen, click the Power button and press Restart by holding down the Shift key on the keyboard.
  2. When the computer restarts, click Troubleshoot.
  3. Click Advanced options and then Startup Settings.
  4. Now click Restart. Press F4 on the keyboard to select and boot into Safe Mode.

Let us know the status, we are glad to assist you further.

Thanks & regards,

Abdul Malik

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Anand,

1. At the login screen, click the Power button and press Restart by holding down the Shift key on the keyboard.
  4. Now click Restart. Press F4 on the keyboard to select and boot into Safe Mode.

I tried the thing, didn't work sadly. Still logs into temporary profile, in safe mode. 

61 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Anand,

Thank you for the suggestion.  I did this, but I don't know what was supposed to happen.  I still can only log on with a temporary profile.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have tried this, among other suggested "fixes," but still nothing.  I've been using Windows 10 for quite a while and this is the first time anything like this has happened. VERY upset!!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This issue has been more common than I'd like to admit.

I'm sure many of you have read and tried Sean's method (http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/38817-youve-been-signed-temporary-profile-fix.html)

and it just doesn't work for ALL environments

I will say, if you are on a domain (work or school) check with your SysAdmin!

I had the problem, only at work.  Turns out it was group policy objects that aren't exactly configured for Windows 10.  I'm also the only one at my company running 10 anyway, so I was put as low priority since all my files are still there, just not account settings.

Hopefully this may point you in the right direction. If you're using a Home-PC then best of luck to you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Though it is an old post, but I ran into same problem on my recent update to windows 10, I couldn't find solution to this while looking on internet, but I manage to solve the problem, So I thought to mention it here so it could save time to someone who ran into such trouble.

while we upgrade to windows 10, the upgrade actually creates a backup registry entry of your profile which you used for upgrade and ran into problems.

Note; Before you start, please make sure to take back of your registry key, and do not attempt if you are not familiar with changing registry entries, and finally if you do so, you do it at your own risk. I will not be held responsible for any loss or damages.

If you go to following registry key...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList

Under this registry key, you will find keys listed of profiles of any number of user you have on that machine, the one will be with ".bak" extenstion, that is actually the backup of your profile that was working fine before update.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList\S-1-5-21-979814014-2414503015-3075406181-1001.bak

now you need to look for the similar key but without ".bak" that the update wizard has created but could not log into.

which should be...

S-1-5-21-979814014-2414503015-3075406181-1001

Now what you need to do is simply rename this key to something else I say just add ".bak1" to its end, And finally remove the ".bak" extenstion from ".bak"  the backup key.

Close the all open windows.

Restart your PC, It will restart again as if it just has finished upgrade, and will display same messages like "we making some interesting changes to you pc" etc. but as it finishes, you will have your desktop back with all settings as it was before update.

hope it helps.

7 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated February 4, 2024 Views 11,190 Applies to: