Locked out of most services requiring 'Desktop' Windows Hello, endless new window loop of broken functions, cannot remove Windows Hello.

Hello,

I have sought many many different ways to try and fix this and this seems to be that one that I cannot find an answer, I would list all I have tried but I have tried all across 2 years and I've reached my peak point of annoyance after two years of screaming at my PC every time it forces me to use a Hello Pin.

Whilst also telling me the setting is unavailable that it then forces me to use for every in-desktop login, so I use most apps through web from windows or alternative accounts but if it is linked to my PC's Windows account no hope.

Enjoy the upcoming narrative game, I did not. I use Windows 10 fyi.

The issue goes like this.

Task: Sign into anything owned by MS, example, Skype.

1: Microsoft requires you to log in. -> Insert Email Address and Password. [Goes well no issue here]

2: [Next pop-up] "Use Windows Hello with your account" -> Hit Ok

3: Enter your pin -> Pin already entered incorrectly, Pin in unknown set 5 years ago. -> Hit Ok for 3.1 -OR-> I forgot my Pin for 4: -OR-> Hit 'Cancel' go to 3.1.1

3.1: "Something Went Wrong" -> Hit Ok for 3.2:.

3.2: Back to Skype Log-in Screen -> Hit Account to use -> Go to step 2:.

3.1.1: [from 3: Hit 'Cancel'] 'Set up your.....' - Hit 'Use Windows Hello' -> 3.1.2 -OR-> Hit 'I'll Set up my account later' Returns to Skype Log-in, go to Step 3.2:.

3.1.2: 'Hold on, this is important' -> Hit 'Set PIN'. -> 3.1.3

3.1.3: Go to Step 7: --- Exact same processes as Step 7, otherwise ends here.

4: From I forgot my PIN in '3:', Tells you to go to Settings. -> Lets go to Sign-in Options.

5: In: Sign-in options: -> Hit 'Sorry - this pin....'

6: 'Use Windows Hello with your account' -> Hit Ok

7: Opens 2nd Factor Authentication Screen for the university I go to, which I use for Outlook emails only. -> Diverging path options: 7.1 Authenticate Log-in or 8: 'I can't use...' and log-in with own MS Gmail account as this is the one I am trying to use.

7.1: [Authenticated Sign-in] Back to step 3: but now without @gmail account. -> Click 'I forgot my PIN' -> Go to Step 4: as this occurs. -OR-> Click Ok.

7.2: [Click Ok from 7.1] Click 'try again' go to Step 7.1:. -OR-> Click 'Skip for Now' -> pop-up Window Closes it self, nothing else appears, you stare at your monitor confused and think, why me, why me again. -OR-> Click 'Cancel'

//I have not contacted university's IT mainly as I am certain they will respond with, that it is out of their remit since I am not trying to use a Uni ac.uk but my personal one and the system is switching between to the two when it suits it, is how it appears.//

8: [From 7: 'I can't use...' to use @gmail account] 'Verify your identity' -- if I choose to authenticate Uni ac.uk then go to Step 7.1: -OR-> Hit 'Cancel' -> 9:.

9: [8: Hit 'Cancel'] Select Uni ac.uk account go to Step 7: -OR-> Hit 'Use Another Account' -> 10:.

10: [9: Hit 'Use Another Account'] Diverging path --> 11: Insert Email Address @gmail accounts -OR-> 10.1: hit 'Sign-in options' -OR-> Hit 'Can't access...' however this is not applicable as I can access both accounts on web-login.

10.1: [10: Hit 'Sign-in Options'] Diverging Options --> 10.1.1 Hit 'Sign in with Windows....' -OR-> 10.2 Hit 'Sign in to an....' -OR-> Hit 'back' go to step 10:.

10.1.1 [10.1: Hit 'Sign in with Windows....'] 'Sign in with Windows Hello....' Instant two pop-up, I do not own or know what a security key is. Nothing else can occur, both 'back' and 'cancel' Return to Step 9:.

10.2: [10.1: Hit 'Sign in to an....'] 'Find your organisation' -- No further action possible, do not want to sign in with Uni ac.uk account and even if so I do not know how to go further from this step. -OR-> Hit 'Back' go to step Step 10.1.

11: [10: Insert Email Address @gmail] After Hitting 'Next' in 10:. --> only option insert Uni ac.uk, go to step 7:.

That's it, thats the end of the narrative game, no further opotions and I still cannot sign into Skype, others off of the top of my head are MS Store, I do not use many MS programs beside Office which it is a nightmare for that. I use my .ac.uk account or another until it lets me in to Office so I can do work.

I have no idea what to do and having been going into this spiral for over 2 years now. When in locked screen and I try to use PIN to sign in (I use password to sign in) it gives me step 3: but without any options just stating I am locked out and can use password to sign in.

Any and all help is appreciated I hope you can digest this narrative game or the worst flowchart attempted.

Many thanks,

-K

Hello Krugster,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

Thank you for your description of the entire issue, as well as the extensive screenshot information. I have confirmed that you are experiencing the same Windows Hello error over and over again. Let's try to fix or resolve this problem.

First of all, I want you to make sure that your Microsoft account (personal account) is working properly. Use your Microsoft account to try logging into the Microsoft account home page normally. If you can log in and use it, it proves that your Microsoft account is working well. Then the focus of the current problem should be on the system.

Search for the command prompt in the taskbar, then open it as an administrator, type the following commands separately, and press Enter to run one by one:

sfc /scannow

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

This command is used to repair the system. After executing the command, close the command prompt and restart the computer to check whether the problem still exists.

If no effect is found, create a local administrator account on the device and use the local administrator account to log in to the device. After logging in to the device, please try to set Windows Hello for the account. Please confirm whether the Windows Hello function of the account can be set and used normally.

If everything is normal, please switch back to the account you used before and test whether Windows Hello is normal again. If the Windows Hello function still cannot be used normally, it indicates that there may be an error in the account configuration file of the current device. Please click Start -- Settings -- Account ,In the account information, click "Log in with a local account". This is done to disconnect your current Microsoft account from this local account. Then, please use the new local administrator account to log in to the system, and then click Start -- Settings -- Account. In the account information, click "Log in with Microsoft Account", associate your Microsoft account with a new local administrator account, please try to add Windows Hello function again, and observe whether this function is normal.

If anything is unclear, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Best regards,

Mitchell - | Microsoft community support expert from MSFT

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Krugster,

I haven't received the message from you yet. If there is anything more I can do for you or anything is unclear, please do not hesitate to let me know. 

Best regards,

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Mitchell,

Thank you for your fast and comprehensive reply, I have executed the first step which works fine, that being of logging into the account.

I have run the commands but I am yet to restart my PC as of yet as I am currently very busy with work.

Afterwards I will follow the next step.

Please bear with me as I have a large workload for the next two weeks so I may get back to you with an update sporadically during this period or hopefully fully straight after.

Again thank you for your thorough response, its very impressive.

-K

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Krugster,

Ok, please feedback the result to me after you finish the operation.

Best regards,

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Mitchell,

I have run the first task, restarted PC and no difference.

I have run the second task to create a local admin account, can confirm the Windows Hello Pin works, I created one and used it. When logging back into the main account it still remains the the same "This option is currently unavailable - click to learn more" or see "5:" in images above.

For the third task I cannot log into a local account as my current main account is already an administrative local account, prior to the creation of this thread, I tried to log into the MS Account to then turn it into the local account to follow the steps, however, when I try to I get image "4:" from above, when I click "Ok" and "Skip for now" the only steps available the account information has changed to the MS Account so it worked.... I then changed it back into a local admin account and Windows Hello still remains as image "5:" from above.

I now go to the new account to log in with MS Account. I can use Windows Hello as normal on the new account with MS Account on it, when I go back to main account it still does not work and is still the same as image "5:" above. Note I have restarted PC in-between every log-in.

Many thanks for you assistance,

-K

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

To anyone seeing this thread, it has now moved to: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hello/locked-out-of-most-services-requiring-desktop/453bc2bf-e159-4cf3-9ac7-7d12001d1f32 as the helpers stop monitoring after non-reply in 96 hours requiring a new thread to be started and I responded just after the window.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated June 1, 2023 Views 81 Applies to: