Lock Screen slideshow not working

I have seen this question asked many times over the 4 years since Windows 10 came out. Those questions are now locked so I'm asking again - I have tried many different "solutions" to this problem and the best I have managed is a manual workaround. 

When the laptop is left, instead of the lock screen the lock screen background picture comes up - no date, time, Cortana info etc is shown.

If you click to log in there is a brief flash of a random photo from the lock screen images I have set, then the log in screen appears with the same static picture, but with time, date etc showing. If this screen is left to time out, then the slideshow plays successfully.

So if I leave my laptop and want to return to the lock screen slide show I need to type Win + L to lock the screen then click on something to bring up the log in screen before I get up. This is a frustrating manual work around.

Has Microsoft yet worked out what the glitch is? 

Is there a fix?

And if not, why not???

Answer
Answer
Ok, Windows 10 1903 will soon be released, you could try upgrading to that release to see if it is fixed.

or

Press Windows key + X
Click Windows PowerShell (Admin)

At the prompt, type the following command or copy and paste it then hit Enter. Exit then restart.

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers |Where-Object {$_.InstallLocation -like "*SystemApps*"} | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

1. In Start > Settings > Personalization > Lock screen change the lockscreen to "Picture"
2. Toggle "OFF" the switch for "Get fun facts, tips, tricks, and more on your lock screen" in Start > Settings > System > Notifications & actions
Open Start, type: CMD
Right click CMD
Click Run as administrator

Type in at the prompt OR Copy and Paste these one at a time : (Hit enter after each)

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Also run the System File Checker utility:
Open Start, type: CMD
Right click CMD
Click Run as administrator

At the Command Prompt, type: sfc/scannow

This will check for any integrity violations

Restart your system

Do this again

Press Windows key + X
Click Windows PowerShell (Admin)

At the prompt, type the following command or copy and paste it then hit Enter. Exit then restart.

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers |Where-Object {$_.InstallLocation -like "*SystemApps*"} | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

Note that I still got the same error about Cortana app needing to be closed.

Click Start
Scroll down to Cortana
Right click Cortana
Click More > App Settings

Click Terminate

4. Restart Windows 10

5. In Personalization I changed the lockscreen back to "Spotlight"

Check if it now works.
Best regards,
Andre Da Costa
Independent Advisor for Directly

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 12, 2021 Views 3,854 Applies to: