Lock Screen Image Does Not Display as Login Screen

I have my "lock screen" set to a picture I have chosen. I have turned on "Show lock screen background picture on the sign-in screen". When I lock, the lock screen picture I have chosen is displayed. However, when I log out and latter log in again, some other picture is displayed; one of the "default" pictures, not the custom picture I have selected as my lock screen.

How do I make the lock screen and sign on screen picture the same - I have already selected "Show lock screen background picture on the sign-in screen" and it does not work.

If you lock your computer (keep your profile logged-in with your programs running), then you will see your personal picture.

If you log out of your computer, all your preferences and options are unloaded from memory and the lock screen will not "know" what picture you wanted to use.

Shawn "Cmdr" Keene | Microsoft MVP - Windows Insider | CmdrKeene.com | tweet: @CmdrKeene
Microsoft MVPs are independent experts offering real-world answers. Learn more at mvp.microsoft.com.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

This question concerns the background image for the sign-in screen. The sign-in screen definitely "knows" the user's preferences and options. For instance, it "knows" the user picture that is displayed in the circle above the user name on the sign in screen.

Under "settings->personalization->lock screen" there is an option to browse for a background picture. Under that is the option to "Show lock screen background picture on the sign-in screen". By sliding this to ON (which I have done) the lock-screen background is supposed to be displayed as the background on the sign-in screen.

This works on other accounts I have on the same computer. But it does not work for this account.

Is there something that I can do in addition to what I have done to get it to start working?

10 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

If you log out (your profile is not loaded) then it will always show a default picture, not your preferred one.

It doesn't gather this info until you supply  your password to unlock your registry info (which loads your preferences) and they get applied to the environment.

Windows sort of "fudges" this a little, because now even after a reboot or shutdown, it will load your profile in the background (using your credentials) so that your profile is logged in before you even manually type your password.

If you want to turn this preloading off, you can go to Settings > Accounts >  Sign in options, and turn off the "use my credentials to finish.." checkbox.

Shawn "Cmdr" Keene | Microsoft MVP - Windows Insider | CmdrKeene.com | tweet: @CmdrKeene
Microsoft MVPs are independent experts offering real-world answers. Learn more at mvp.microsoft.com.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Shawn, Sorry I still don't get it. I have three accounts on my machine. Two have custom pictures for the "lock screen" and one has a selected picture for the "lock screen". All three of them have "Show lock screen background picture on the sign-in screen" set to the ON position.

When I sign out from one account (or power up) I can select from the three accounts by choosing one from the list displayed in the lower left hand corner. When I chose the account with the built in picture selected, the screen dissolves to the selected lock screen picture which becomes the background of the sign-in screen for that account. When I select one of the two accounts with a custom picture selected as the lock-screen, that picture is displayed as the sign-in screen. When I select the OTHER account with a custom picture selected as the lock-screen, rather than dissolving to the lock-screen picture it dissolves to one of the built in pictures.

Why does the one account behave differently from the others? Is there anything that will fix it?

17 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 9, 2024 Views 3,945 Applies to: