Load dll error.....Can't Load Res_dll

My pc has been working fine an then one day I turned it on only to find this dll error box saying, Can't Load Res_dll. I can x out or select ok but either way it does nothing and then just continues to pop up. I have no idea how to fix this. If anyone can help it is greatly appreciated. I am running XP Home service pack 3.....the only other issue I have encountered but not sure if its related because its not causing a problem on any of the other pc's in the house is that my windows live care isn't working on just this pc but I run it wirelessly on all 3 pc's an the other 2 are working fine. Thank you in advance for any help....Misty

Question Info

Last updated September 9, 2019 Views 20,323 Applies to:

Hi mittyrk, 

Let's Perform a Clean boot and check.

To help troubleshoot error messages and other issues, you can start Windows by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This kind of startup is known as a "clean boot." A clean boot helps eliminate software conflicts. 

I would suggest you to boot the computer in clean boot i.e disable non microsoft services.

The purpose of disabling non microsoft services is to check if any of these services is causing the issue.

Follow the steps below to boot the computer in clean boot:

Perform clean boot and check if you have the issue.

1. Click Start, type msconfig in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.

User Account Control permission

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Continue.

2. On the General tab, click Selective Startup.

3. Under Selective Startup, click to clear the Load Startup Items check box.

4. Click the Services tab, click to select the Hide All Microsoft Services check box, and then click Disable All.

5. Click OK.

6. When you are prompted, click Restart.

7. After the computer starts, check whether the problem is resolved.

Note : Reset the computer to start as usual

After you have finished troubleshooting, follow these steps to reset the computer to start as usual:

1.    Click Start, type msconfig.exe in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type your password, or click Continue.

2. On the General tab, click the Normal Startup option, and then click OK.

3. When you are prompted to restart the computer, click Restart. 

If the issue is resolved check which third party is causing the problem, referring the link given below:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135  

Regards, 

Divya R – Microsoft Support.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thank you for your help....I did everything you said and after restarting the error came back up saying: Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library

Runtime Error!

Program: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Windows OneCare Live\winss.exe

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusal way.
Please contact the application's support team for more information.

Yesterday I contacted one care and we removed one care and then reinstalled an it was working fine but its not now an that error came up before I even signed in...after I signed in the other Can't load Res_dll error is still there.

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you for your help....I did everything you said and after restarting the error came back up saying: Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library

Runtime Error!

Program: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Windows OneCare Live\winss.exe

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusal way.
Please contact the application's support team for more information.

Yesterday I contacted one care and we removed one care and then reinstalled an it was working fine but its not now an that error came up before I even signed in...after I signed in the other Can't load Res_dll error is still there.

Divya R.,  glad I found your info., thank you for this information (Feb 2010) I had same error message., followed your steps and then received similar Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Libary.., Roxio Shared..,

I went back to Run, msconfig, Services, reset my laptop, then, unchecked WUSB54GCSVC, rebotted my XP-laptop, bingo no more "Can't Load Res_dll" error message.

mm

Sorry this didn't help.

i had similar problems with this same error message recently and tried numerous things i had researched online but none seemed to work. The way i finally fixed it was by installing all my optional windows updates. SO my first suggestion to anyone having this trouble would be to make sure you have all your windows updates even the optional ones. Express isn't enough it seems :P so get in there and do some Custom updating. 

Hope this helps.

Sorry this didn't help.

Installing all the option updates from MS might seem like a good thing to do, but it can backfire on your if you let MS Update install what they think are the hardware drivers your system needs.

By that I mean especially the Optional Hardware updates that include devices like:

processor
network
video
sound

I would say to never install any Optional Hardware updates from Microsoft.  MS Update does not know all about your system hardware and can't figure out what you need and does a poor job of recommending hardware updates and they are frequently wrong.  MS is not in the hardware business, just like they are not in the malicious software protection, detection and removal business.  Other companies - that is all they do all day long.

I have an ATI and an NVIDIA card in my system and MS suggests that I should update both, but I will update neither because I know that if I go out to the ATI and NVIDIA web site, I will be sure to get the latest drivers from there and never from MS.

Those kinds of updates you need to get from the WWW site of the manufacturer of your hardware and never from Microsoft.  If MS offers them you need to check and see what the manufacturer says first.

Unless you have done a little legwork and research to see if they make sense, it would be best to not Optional hardware updates.

Sorry this didn't help.

Wish you'd gotten this up before I followed those directons, above. I guess I should go back to a recent restore point.

Sorry this didn't help.

i had similar problems with this same error message recently and tried numerous things i had researched online but none seemed to work. The way i finally fixed it was by installing all my optional windows updates. SO my first suggestion to anyone having this trouble would be to make sure you have all your windows updates even the optional ones. Express isn't enough it seems :P so get in there and do some Custom updating. 

Hope this helps.

my problem seemed to start after an automatic update, assuming it was Windows since it did it on it's own.  I had a reminder popping up each day to remind me of an event I wonder if the update got stuck in that reminder.

Sorry this didn't help.