List View File Select/Highlight Issue

After the recent Windows 10 Creators Update, when I view files in List View and highlight or select them, it also selects the empty space beside the file names based on the file with the longest name. It used to be just the file icon and the characters in the file name. I used that empty area after the file name often. Now, I always seem to be highlighting a file or folder. It's very inconvenient. 

Is there any way to change this back so that just the icon and name are able to be highlighted/selected? I really would like all that empty usable space back!

Please see example I found: http://i.imgur.com/sP0j7tJ.png

Question Info

Last updated February 4, 2020 Views 303 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

I asked the exact same thing and was fobbed off with the Feedback Hub answer... which goes no where!! No response, acknowledgment —Nothing!

Another Microsoft technician told me to use system restore! Surely it must be easier than that?...

I also updated my laptop and the highlighting/empty space thing didn't happen. I am at a loss to what has caused this on my PC. Please respond with something more satisfactory. Feedback Hub is worse than useless.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.