Links not working in Windows 10

Upgraded my personal Windows 8 laptop to Windows 10. Now links are not opening from any application (i.e. word, excel, PowerPoint, outlook, OneNote, PDFs, etc.). The error message is as follows:

"Your organization's policies are preventing us from completing this action for you. For more info, please contact your help desk"

I have searched online and none of the common solutions work. Here's what I've tried:

1. Installing Internet Explorer: My version of windows does not allow me to install internet explorer...and there isn't a workaround.
  2. EasyFix (available through think link: https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/help/310049/hyperlinks-are-not-working-in-outlook?wa=wsignin1.0%3Fwa%3Dwsignin1.0) does not work. The error message says "(50388)this easy fix does not apply to your operating system or application version" - I cannot find a windows 10 version of this.

Please help. I am trying to open a one note file saved on my one drive and I cannot open it because of this issue.

Is this Professional version or previously managed by a domain or IT administrator?  Did you or anyone else make changes in the registry affecting telemetry or anything else?  Please reply to this first as I'm tracking an increase in issues with messages similar to what you report. 

Next  work through the Windows 10 Install Integrity Checklist to make sure the install is set up correctly, optimized for best performance, and any needed repairs are done. 

If any steps cannot be performed then try whichever method works here to access Advanced Startup Options in Windows 10  and then Startup Settings to get into Safe Mode with Networking which may work better to perform all of the steps, or from the Advanced Troubleshooting Options use the Command Prompt at boot to run Repair Commands in the Checklist.

If you’ll report back as you go, we may have other steps that are indicated.  We will help you complete them all.

Remember however that the Upgrade and/or Factory installs are inferior installs which most tech enthusiasts would never run in the first place.  For the  best possible install look over these steps for doing a Clean Install Windows 10 which is the gold standard install in an OS where the quality of the install is everything.

Short of that there is an automated  Reset Your Windows 10 PC which reinstalls the OS but doesn’t clear the hard drive to get it cleanest.  Both of the above require reinstalling Programs and settings, however you can keep files, programs and most settings and still reinstall the OS by doing a Windows 10 Repair Upgradewhich can fix many problems that the Checklist repairs cannot.

Windows MVP 2010-2020 (ret).
Millions helped via my tutorials and personally in forums for 14 years.
Please notify me in my articles' Comments if a tutorial link is outdated or ads intrude.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

If yours is Windows 10 Version 1607 (or Windows Server 2016), the following update (available only at the Catalog) includes multiple internet fixes. See your Version & System type at "START, Settings, System, About".

I haven't taken this optional update because of the caveat mentioned in the article. Also, I am unaware I suffer any item for which it is a cure. I'm waiting for the "future release".

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4011347

January 26, 2017—KB 3216755 (OS Build 14393.726)

Edit 3/15/17: The future release entered today through Windows Update...

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4013429

March 14, 2017—KB4013429 (OS Build 14393.953)

It looks good to me & has no known "issues".

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi there, it didnt work unfortunately. My computer says that the updates have already been installed 🤔. Thanks for the suggestion though. It was worth a try.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Did you see the steps I wrote out for you to try above?

Please let us know when you;re ready to fix this.  It's an interactive process where we give you steps, you reply back with results or request more information on how to perform them.   Do not skip any steps.  The skipped step is often later found to be the fix. 

Please notify me in my articles' Comments if a tutorial link is outdated or ads intrude.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi there, it didnt work unfortunately. My computer says that the updates have already been installed 🤔. Thanks for the suggestion though. It was worth a try.

You may have noticed KB4013429 (OS Build 14393.953) came in through Windows Update today, along with a few other stuff. I hope that was a cure. If not, I guess work with Greg. I'll keep an eye here, though.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Greg, I tried the steps last night but they did not fix the problem. I am wondering if it is a problem with my Office software...I will try to do a clean install tonight to see if that will remedy the issue. Will keep you posted.

Thanks!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

You will get and keep the best possible install to the exact extent you stick with the steps, tools and methods in Clean Install Windows 10.

This is the opportunity to have the best install of Windows one can possibly have, and you only need to do it once and then save a backup image to restore Windows in the future in 20 minutes. 

Please feel free to ask back any questions and let us know how it goes.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated November 15, 2023 Views 8,795 Applies to: