LG Ultragear monitor and HDR problems

Having trouble using HDR with my new LG Ultragear 32inch 850GP monitor.

Finally have HDR on a new PC and its making my monitor crash occasionally.

Sometimes, usually after playing a game my monitor display is looking like its in less than 640 resolution but the resolution is still 2560x1440 and

the buttons on the monitor wont work neither do on screen controls. Sometimes everything looks fine but the buttons on my monitor dont work.

So I restart my PC and in the loading Gigabyte screen there are just blurry lines gigabyte is unreadable.

The only way to fix it is to unplug/turn off the monitor from the wall.

This is happening once every few days.

Does anyone know whats happening here ? Is my new monitor faulty? Is HDR causing my monitor to crash? Would it have anything to do with Windows only using a Generic PNP driver for my monitor? (there are no drivers available for this monitor from Windows 11 or LG)

Im using an Aorus 3070 video card.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated Thanks

Hi Dave. I'm Greg, 10 years awarded Windows MVP, here to help you.

I can give you things to try from the Windows end but a new monitor is under factory warranty so LG Support must either fix or replace it during the first year.. It might even still be under Store warranty so you could call the Store manager as often they will be helpful and might exchange it or have their repair dept go over it.

1) The things to check in Windows are if the same thing happens with another monitor. Also if this monitor does the same thing on another device.

2) The Display driver is so important here that merely updating it is sometimes not enough. So let's try everything possible to get it working correctly:

First make sure you have updated the Display driver from the PC or motherboard maker's Support Downloads web page for your exact model number, HP Serial Number or Dell Service Tag - from the sticker on the PC.

If necessary first remove the old driver using DDU https://www.wagnardsoft.com/content/ddu-guide-t... (not necessary with Microsoft Basic driver which is a placeholder if nothing else is available) and/or installing in Safe Mode with Networking (so you have internet), or Safe Mode, accessed by one of these methods: https://www.digitalcitizen.life/4-ways-boot-saf...

While there check also for newer chipset, BIOS/UEFI firmware (very important), network, sound, USB3 and other drivers, comparing to the ones presently installed in Device Manager reached by right clicking the Start Menu.

If this doesn't give you the latest or ideal driver for what you need, compare it to the driver offered by the Intel driver update Utility here: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/...
or the Nvidia Update utility here: http://www.nvidia.com/Download/Scan.aspx?lang=e...
or the AMD autodect utility here: http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/P...

For Display issues one fix that is working is to Roll back or Uninstall the Driver on the Display Device > Driver tab, restart PC to reinstall driver.

You can also try older drivers in Device Manager > Display device > Driver tab > Update Driver > Browse > Let Me Pick.

Then you will know you've tried everything in addition to Windows Update drivers.

3) Adjust the screen resolution until it fits and looks best at Settings > System > Display.

4) Check for a monitor driver by expediting Windows Updates (including Optional Updates) in Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update > Check for Updates to install all Updates until no more are offered.

If none of those work then contact LG Support here:
https://www.lg.com/us/support/contact

Report back results for each step so I know what else to suggest.

Feel free to ask back any questions. Based on the results you post back I may have other suggestions if necessary.

Standard Disclaimer: There are links to non-Microsoft websites. The pages appear to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the sites that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the sites before you decide to download and install it.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Thanks for the reply.

I have tried every thing that I possibly can from your list.

All my drivers are up to date I even installed the Intel driver update utility and it says all my drivers are up to date.

Tried another monitor and that works fine.

Have read it seems to be a common problem on these LG Ultragear monitors while using HDR.

Really dont want to disable HDR because I like the graphics upgrade HDR provides in games.

Have already contacted LG several times and they have not helped. Say its with their technician and he will ring

me but that was over a week ago.

Really disappointed because apart from having to unplug the monitor from the wall once or twice a day it works really well.

Hoping to get a firmware update or driver for this monitor that would fix the issue but the only download availabe from LG

in the driver and Firmware page is onscreen control and I have installed that 3 times now.

Thanks Again for trying to help any other ideas?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Just an update to this issue it still happens when I run HDR 10 bit colour at 165Hz but I dont seem to have an issue running at 144Hz.

Is running at 144Hz much different to running 165Hz?

Could this be the reason my monitor controls lock up or is it a faulty monitor?

LG have offered to replace the monitors main board for me and I would like to get the maximum HZ that I paid for so I may just get the new board and see if the problem continues at 165Hz

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I had trouble with a LG monitor after an update. When I called I had a representative that helped and sent me a link to download the firmware directly so that I could run it again. When I ran into a similar problem later it took probably 3-4 customer service reps to actually listen to what I was saying because they all insisted that there is no way for them to provide me with a link to download it directly. Once I did get the 1 that would hear me out and after I gave the rep some direction I was able to get the link again. Point of the story is that for whatever reason LG doesn't train their reps very well or trains them not to offer that solution, so it may require some persistent urging on your part to several reps before you can get it. Both instances that I was having trouble getting the most recent firmware worked to fix the problem.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi

Thanks for your reply. I refunded my LG monitor a few months ago and bought an ASUS tough 27inch monitor.

It was fine playing HDR games except it was black screening occasionally. It would work fine for a week or so and then black screen 3 or 4 times in a day.

After enquiring at the place I purchased the Computer they said that I must have a faulty Graphics card and have sent it back to Gigabyte for repair/Replacement. So at this stage i think my 3070 Auros Graphics card was faulty and just had different reactions to the different monitors.

I will update this post after I get my computer back to confirm if my issues were caused by a faulty video card.

Thanks for the reply its much appreciated and will keep this in mind the next time I purchase an LG product

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 2, 2024 Views 9,572 Applies to: