Left mouse button won't open anything with a double click anymore.

Alright, so I'll start with an example. I use mozilla firefox. Normally, in order to open it, all you have to do is double click on it with the left mouse button. However, for some reason, my computer will no longer do this. Heck, it won't do it for anything, which means I can't even play any of my games because those don't have a work around.

Yes, there is a work around, by right clicking and choosing "start" or "run as administrator." However, "OPEN" which is at the top in bold, won't do anything.

What is happening when I double click on my desktop icons, is a window pops up that asks, "which program would you like to use to open this file?" Doing that means I've got to hit "browse" and go searching through all my stuff for the program I think is used to open it, and then cross my fingers that it is the right one.

I did recently have some trouble with some adware or something continually trying to download something "defender" (I could tell it was one of those fake things) So I disconnected my computer from the internet so it couldn't download, then went through all my files from recent downloads, found the problem ones and deleted them. (That's downloads only. I opened my download box, right clicked on every item there and "went to containing folder" and looked through. I didn't do anything elsewhere.)

Just to be safe, I went out and bought norton and ran a scan. Everything is apparently clean. So I'm at a complete loss as to what happened or how to fix it and it's really getting on my nerves because I keep forgetting I have to right click and hit "start" to open anything now. And some stuff, for instance the game Mass Effect 2 which has a launcher that opens, doing all that opens the launcher, but when I click the "play game" button, nothing happens, and I can't right click that.

I also recently upgraded from Vista to 7, but that was before the problem with that "defender" thing.

Does anyone know what's going on and how to fix it? School starts in a few weeks and I'm gonna need my computer in the best possibly working order I can get it in. Please help, thanks.

Answer
Answer

Your computer is still not clean. Run Doug Knox's .exe fix (which is not an .exe so you can run it) and then go through the more thorough malware scanning described at the second link. Don't skip the preparatory work.

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm
http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/page2.html#Removing_Malware

If you can't do the work yourself (and there is no shame in admitting this isn't your cup of tea), take the machine to a professional computer repair shop (not your local equivalent of BigComputerStore/GeekSquad). If possible, have all your data backed up before you take the machine into a shop.

MS-MVP - Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated September 11, 2023 Views 10,375 Applies to: