Laptop keeps freezing, only solution is to force shutdown

Recently purchased a basic laptop on ebay, its a hypa 14 with Windows 10 home, a pentium cpu, 4gb of memory and 64gb emmc storage. 

The issue I've been having is the laptop freezes constantly where the only solution is to hold down the power button to shut down the machine. 

This happens without fail and is seemingly after a few minutes, I have noticed if the laptop Is left alone it won't freeze but as soon as I try to move the cursor it freezes. 

I couldn't reset windows 10 either nor could I use a USB recovery device as the process fails. 

Is there anything I can do before I contact the seller?  Also if I do need to return the laptop how can i remove my Microsoft account and Personal info if I can't reset to factory defaults. 

Many thanks 

You have the bare minimum for memory, RAM and hardly anything for storage. What are you wanting to do on your computer?

H. E. W.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I was aware it would be a basic machine and only wanted to use it for basic web browsing and emails etc. 

I find it odd as it works fine up until the point of freezing 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi SamBetts,

My name is Darren; an Independent Consultant, I'm here to help you with your problem.

Try run the System File Checker tool to repair missing or corrupted system files:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929833...

Also, go to Start > Type "Windows Update Settings" hit enter > Click on "Check for updates" to ensure you have installed the latest windows update.

Restart your computer and check if the problem still persists.

I hope this helps. If this is not exactly what you need, please explain more so that I can help you better.

Thanks

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi I can’t even boot into windows at this point it’s as if the install doesn’t exist. 

The only option for the boot priority in the bios is the recovery USB I have inserted. 

Is it possible the recovery tool has corrupted the windows install? Or am I dealing with an actual hardware issue. 

I did notice the packaging had what remained of a “returned” sticker attached meaning this laptop was most likely a previous customer return from a retailer before being sold on eBay 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Are you able to access to startup repair?
https://www.windowscentral.com/how-use-startup-...

Did this issue happened when you first used the laptop after you have bought it?

Standard Disclaimer: There are links to non-Microsoft websites. The pages appear to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the sites that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the sites before you decide to download and install it.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have attempted to use startup repair however it doesn’t seem to do anything. 

Resetting this pc fails to finish, if I select the option to clean the drive it will get to 41% quickly and then fails saying the pc couldn’t be reset. 

It has been doing it since I first used it. Although since at first I only had the machine installing updates etc o never noticed the freezing until I actually started to use it opening Microsoft edge, this worked great for a while until it froze completely, same when using google chrome.

When I woke the laptop from sleep one time it froze as soon as I moved the cursor on the desktop, other times I’ve had it freeze on entering my password to login . 

There was no indication of an imminent crash or anything it would be working fine then all of a sudden freeze up. 

I was able to repair the drive once successfully if I remember correctly but since I’ve tried the usb recovery option and tried to reset the pc completely and start fresh it won’t even boot into windows anymore. . 

I had installed all the available windows updates after I had setup my account on the device. 

Thanks for your prompt replies 👍

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I think the problem could be because of the eMMC storage. From the description that you have provided, it could be that it has been used to the point that the storage degrades to an unusable condition. I would recommend you to contact the seller.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 9, 2024 Views 3,191 Applies to: