Keyboard Typing Random Letters

Help! I don't know what happened but my keyboard will type seemingly random letters/number every time you push any key (even same key multiple times). I have gone into the computer's keyboard settings and switched languages from and back to the original English settings and nothing has changed. The odd thing is that it works on some programs and not others.

It works on:

Chrome, File Explorer, Internet Passwords, Steam, Spotify, iTunes

Doesn't work on:

Microsoft Settings, Cortana, Microsoft Store, OneNote, Sticky Notes, Calendar, Audible, Mail

The trend is that it doesn't work on most Microsoft Applications but it does on the other Apps

Answer
Answer

Hello,

Please run Keyboard troubleshooter from Settings app > Update & security > Troubleshoot. See if this helps you.

If that doesn't helps, try this:

1. Press Windows + X, select Device Manager.

2. Under Device Manager, right click on your keyboard device/driver and select Uninstall. Click OK.

3. Then click Action > Scan for hardware changes.

4. Close Device Manager and reboot.

Also, go to Settings > Ease of Access > Keyboard. Make sure Use Sticky Keys is turned Off. 

You can also try attaching external keyboard or check the problematic keyboard by plugging it to other devices, if possible.

If nothing helps, go to your laptop manufacturer's website and download latest keyboard drivers for your system mode and install them.

Hope this helps! 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Microsoft MVP (Windows IT Pro), since 2014 · Windows Insider MVP, since 2016 · Windows Help (www.kapilarya.com)

65 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer
Hi Jonathan,

Open the Settings App

Go to Update & Security - Troubleshoot

Run the Keyboard troubleshooter

If that does not resolve this for you

Open Device Manager

Expand the Keyboards section

Right click your keyboard and choose 'Uninstall'

Then restart your PC

Power to the Developer!

MSI GV72 - 17.3", i7-8750H (Hex Core), 32GB DDR4, 4GB GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, 256GB NVMe M2, 2TB HDD

48 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 8, 2024 Views 176,824 Applies to: