keyboard shortcuts not working on Netflix desktop app - Windows 10

Everything worked fine on Windows 8.1, but after the upgrade to 10, I have now been having problems with keyboard shortcuts on my Netflix app. I am currently working with the Netflix customer service people, who have been extremely friendly and are trying their best to help, but they seem to have no idea why it's doing what it's doing.

The problem:

The desktop Netflix app streams audio/video just fine, but no keyboard shortcuts work. My main issue is that you can't start/stop play with the space bar. Extremely frustrating. Even more frustrating is that this is not a consistent problem. There are times that it will work. Never very often, but it happens off and on. But when it does work, it's only the space bar shortcut, none of the others listed on the Netflix website. I have yet to see any connected action that causes it to work some days and not others.

When using Netflix through the edge browser, most of the shortcuts work just fine, mainly the important ones, but again, not all that Netflix lists. However, I don't use the browser for Netflix and very much prefer to use the app. Which is why I'd like it to work properly.

So far, I have tried uninstalling/reinstalling the app, restarting the computer several times, digging through settings of both computer and app to see if there was some setting that needed to be enabled for some reason, and checked and double checked my keyboard for any connectivity issues. So far, no dice.

Any help is much appreciated. It'd also be nice to know if anybody else has been having this same issue. Thanks in advance!

Question Info

Last updated May 21, 2020 Views 13,571 Applies to:

Hello,

This issue may occur due to incorrect settings or due to corrupted hardware.

1. What is the make and model of the computer?

2. Is the issue specific with this particular shortcut?

3. Did you make any recent changes on the computer prior to this issue?

Method 1:
I would suggest you to connect an external keyboard and check if it works.

Method 2:
If the issue persists, I would suggest you to run the Hardware troubleshooter and check.

a. Press Windows key + C on your keyboard to show the Charms bar.

b. Type Troubleshooting and click Troubleshooting under Settings.

c. Now type Hardware Troubleshooter in the search option.

d. Click on Hardware troubleshooter to run the troubleshooter.

Method 3:
If the issue persists, I would suggest you to download and install latest Keyboard Driver from the manufacturer website and check if it helps.

Refer to the link for additional information.

Keyboard shortcuts

If still this issue persists, I would suggest you to contact Netflix support for more help.

Hope this information helps. Reply to the post with updated status of the issue to assist you further.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thank you for responding.

My computer is a custom build. This issue only began after the update to windows 10. All my drivers are up to date and the issue is the same no matter what keyboard is connected. After discussing the problem back and forth with the Netflix support reps, we discovered that the desktop app isn't currently supported on windows 10, only the browser version is supported right now. So it is most likely just a small bug with the app and how it is reacting to the new OS update. So basically, my solution is to suffer with it working sporadically and wait for a future update to either the OS or the app that will hopefully remedy the problem.

Thank you again for your help and suggestions. I hope this helps anybody else who has been having this issue.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I am a developer of custom remotes for Unified Remote (unifiedremote.com). I can testify that Netflix failed to comply with a standard keyboard shortcut set for their Windows 10 Universal app. We currently have a beta that somewhat works, but are working with developers and Netflix to compose a solid solution. 

29 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.