keyboard not working and not showing up in device manager

hi. using on-screen keyboard to type this . my laptop keyboard is not working except the power button, indicating it is a software issue. when i go to device manager to update the driver , there is no keyboard option available . it is simply not there. how do i update my keyboard driver ?
Hi od63

Restart (not shut down) your PC

Open the Settings App

Go to Update & Security - Troubleshoot

Run the Keyboard troubleshooter

Then if your keyboard is still not responding, open Device Manger

Select any device category, then at the top of Device Manager, choose Action - Scan for Hardware changes . . .

Power to the Developer!

MSI GV72 - 17.3", i7-8750H (Hex Core), 32GB DDR4, 4GB GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, 256GB NVMe M2, 2TB HDD

51 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

thank you Dave . unfortunately nothing has changed . the troubleshooter found no issues. when i scanned for hardware changes in device manager , it scanned for about half a second with a box that stated "scanning plug and play compliant software..." but nothing happened after that .

49 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi od63

What is the Make and exact Model No. of your laptop - that will be printed on a sticker on the bottom casing . . .

Do you have an external keyboard that you can temporarily connect to see if that is working?

Power to the Developer!

MSI GV72 - 17.3", i7-8750H (Hex Core), 32GB DDR4, 4GB GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, 256GB NVMe M2, 2TB HDD

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

it is an asus fx35vd-ms72 laptop. i have had this problem for a couple weeks . i initially took it to the store i bought it from and they successfully hooked up an external key board which worked fine. they ordered and installed a new keyboard from asus. it worked fine for about a day and then the problem started again

7 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi od63

if an external keyboard and the on-screen keyboard works on that laptop, then this is definitely a physical keyboard problem, you should take that back to the store and get them to check the small tape connector on that keyboard, they may not have fitted that correctly, it is very small and very delicate . . .

Power to the Developer!

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,

Please try these suggestions:

1. Reboot your system and check, if keyboard is detected then.

2. Run Keyboard troubleshooter from Settings app > Update & security > Troubleshoot.

3. If it is external keyboard, detach it and re-plug in. Open Device Manager, click Action > Scan for hardware changes. 

4. If you suddenly started facing this issue, restore your system to earlier date, see if it helps.

5. Go to your device manufacturer's website and install keyboard drivers for your system model from there.

6. If it is external keyboard, connect it to another machine and check if it works. If it is still not working, replace keyboard with new one.

Hope this helps! 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Microsoft MVP (Windows IT Pro), since 2014 · Windows Insider MVP, since 2016 · Windows Help (www.kapilarya.com)

10 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 15, 2024 Views 71,557 Applies to: