Keyboard & mouse not working at login screen.

I have Windows7 64-bit installed on my machine. I can not use my USB mouse and keyboard at the log in screen. I tried booting the system at safe mode but I am facing the same problem there. The moment login screen appears my keyboard freezes and if I press num lock nothing happens. My mouse also stops working at the login screen. I don't wish to reinstall the windows as it will wipe out all the settings which I have on my machine. Is there any way to fix the problem without re-installing windows. I tried fixing the problem using my installation disk but I couldn't find the solution. 
Answer
Answer
Hi Shilpesh,
I would suggest you to disable and re-enable the USB controller and check if it helps.

Use Device Manager to disable and re-enable all the USB controllers. This lets the controllers recover the USB port from its unresponsive condition. The USB controllers represent the USB ports in Device Manager.

To disable and re-enable the USB controllers, follow these steps:
a. Click Start , type device manager in the Start search box and hit Enter.
b. Expand Universal Serial Bus controllers .
Note You might have to scroll down the list to find this item.
c. Right-click the first USB controller under Universal Serial Bus controllers, and then click Uninstall to remove it.
d. Repeat the above step for each USB controller that is listed under Universal Serial Bus controllers.
e. Restart the computer. After the computer starts, Windows will automatically scan for hardware changes and reinstall all the USB controllers that you uninstalled.
f. Check the USB device to see whether it is working.

Also, try to update the chipset drivers from the computer manufacturer website.

Thanks.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 3, 2022 Views 2,050 Applies to: