Keyboard letters don't work to login to Windows User account.

Hello,

For the last few days, I can't seem to be able to login to my user account on the windows login screen. 

When it boots and asks me to type my user password, I try typing but the letters won't work. The numbers work fine, as do the system keys (ctrl, enter, space, shift etc..) but I can't type letters. My mouse works perfectly.

Sometimes after a few reboots, it does let me type again but then stops working on the next reboot. 

I've tried using the Ease of Access on-screen keyboard provided in the windows login screen, but when I try hit the letter keys with my mouse, they don't work there either. 

I finally figured out I can choose the option to login via my microsoft account instead of the user password, and when I select the microsoft account option, the letter keys work fine to type the password!

I'm running Windows 10 on my Dell XPS 15 (9550) with touch screen. 

I don't know if it may be related but I did update my dell with the suggested updates (some bios one, alongside a few others) around the same time the issue started. 

What could it be?

Thank you.

Press Windows key + X Click Device Manager Expand Mice and other pointing devices. Right click on the Keyboard and click uninstall Exit Device Manager then restart your computer Are you sure you weren't using a Microsoft Account password all along for the account?
Best,
Andre
twitter/adacosta
groovypost.com

34 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks Andre.

I've checked in my device manage and under mice and other pointing devices there doesn't seem to be any Keyboard option. I do have a Keyboard setting above it though, see attached screenshot. 

I know I wasn't using my microsoft account to login because it has a different password than my User account which I've been using for over a year now. 

Which of the keyboard devices should I uninstal and what happens once I do? The keyboard works fine after I login, it's just in the login screen it seems. 

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Well I see 3 keyboards listed under 'Keyboards', uninstall each of them.
Best,
Andre
twitter/adacosta
groovypost.com

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 14, 2024 Views 41,802 Applies to: