Keyboard and touchpad not working after restart. Windows 8 Sony Vaio T Series Ultrabook.

My Sony Vaio T Series Ultrabook running Windows 8 had frozen while running a program. Task manager wouldn't work, so I used the sidebar on the touchscreen to restart. After I had restarted, neither the keyboard nor the touchpad were working besides the backlight of the keyboard. I tried to use system restore to go back a couple days, but no success. In my device manager, there are yellow marks next to my keyboard and touchpad. External mouses don't work either! After troubleshooting, it says my computer is having trouble with PnP devices. I can only navigate my computer with its touchscreen and it is very tedious. I need this computer to type for school. Please help!
Answer
Answer

Hi Darklo,

I would suggest you to follow the methods given below. Before we proceed, please answer the question given below.

1)      What is the program that you were trying to run?

I would suggest you to follow the methods given below and check if it helps.

Method 1: Run the Hardware troubleshooter and check.

Follow the steps to run the troubleshooter:

a) Press Windows key + C on your keyboard to show the Charms bar.

b) Type Troubleshooting and click Troubleshooting under Settings.

c) Now type Hardware Troubleshooter in the search option.

d) Click on Hardware troubleshooter to run the troubleshooter.

Also try updating the drivers for Keyboard and touchpad.

Method 2: Update drivers for Keyboard and touchpad.

a)       Press Windows Key + R, type devmgmt.msc.

b)      Right click on Keyboard.

c)      Click on properties, click on Driver tab.

d)      Click Update Drivers button.

e)      Click on OK button.

Similarly follow the steps to update the touchpad.

Method 3:  Run Microsoft safety scanner.  

The Microsoft Safety Scanner is a free downloadable security tool that provides on-demand scanning and helps remove viruses, spyware, and other malicious software. It works with your existing antivirus software.

http://www.microsoft.com/security/scanner/en-us/default.aspx

Note:

The Microsoft Safety Scanner expires 10 days after being downloaded. To rerun a scan with the latest anti-malware definitions, download and run the Microsoft Safety Scanner again.

Important: While scanning the hard drive if any bad sectors are found, the scanner tries to repair that sector, any data available on that might be lost.

Hope this helps, if you have any further queries, feel free to post. We will be glad to assist you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated February 27, 2021 Views 26,454 Applies to: