Keyboard and Mouse non-functional

Right after I upgraded to Windows 10 the PC was working okay.  When I restarted the PC the next day both the keyboard and mouse would not work.  I know for a fact that the keyboard and mouse are good.  Now I can do nothing on the PC.  The only button that works is the power button, that when pressed will initiate a shut down.   Can someone assist.

Hi Thomas,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

This issue might be caused due to following reasons:

• BIOS outdated.
  • Chipset outdated.
  • Device driver outdated.

We would recommend you to visit the computer manufacturer website and check for latest updated chipset drivers or BIOS and update it.

If you are unable to find the compatible drivers for Windows 10, we suggest you to visit the computer motherboard manufacturer website and check.

BIOS Disclaimer:

Modifying BIOS/ complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring of BIOS/CMOS settings can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk. 

Hope this information helps, for further assistance please reply.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I have swappable drives, and the other drive I use (having specialty apps) has identical keyboard and mouse drivers and the motherboard bios is, of course,  the same for that drive.  The mouse and keyboard work perfectly.  I need to get into a safe mode environment while the problematic drive is made active.  But with the keyboard and mouse not responding, I am wondering what, if anything, can be done to get me into a safe mode so I could check out the driver situation.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am going to try and insert a PCI card that has USB 3.0 ports, hoping that my keyboard and mouse might find life if I take that action.  I hope this is a viable option?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

What I did to resolve the issue was to boot the PC without the mouse or keyboard attached.  When Windows 10 came up I reattached the input devices and was able to navigate.  But I also needed to use SET POINT to get the drivers to be recognized.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Thomas,

Thank you for updating the status of the issue.

What do you refer to, when you say “I needed to use SET POINT to get the drivers to be recognized”?

Kindly be informed that when you connect Mouse or keyboard to the computer, the drivers get installed automatically. If any of the external devices are not working, you may try to update the drivers and check the functionality. Refer to the following article to update all the drivers available in Windows 10.

How to: Install and Update drivers in Windows 10

Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 25, 2019 Views 129 Applies to: