KB5036893 leaves the OS almost unusable. (My opinion, and solution)

Hello, I am writing this to complain a bit, discuss, and warn others about the KB5036893 update.

This has so far been the worst update I have installed on Windows 11, a total disaster.

I have read about problems from many other users, and from what I see, this update brings a large number of errors, not just one specific one that happens to everyone, in my case, this is what happened to me:

The whole problem starts when you try to have your drivers updated to the most recent version, the system stops working completely, after restarting, no application wants to open, you can’t even turn off the computer except by unplugging it from the power strip or wherever you have it plugged in.

The worst thing this update has caused me was a BSOD with the CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED error. Having to forcibly reinstall Windows 11, because not even doing a BCDREBUILD with my USB with a Windows installation could fix the problem.

I even thought it was a problem with my hardware, I have been checking my computer for two weeks and looking for any kind of failure, I mainly thought the problem was my disk, but nothing.

That said, it turns out that if I uninstall this update, everything returns to normal, without any problem.

Is Microsoft aware of the problems with this update? Because I have seen more users complaining and even articles on the internet about news and problems with this version.

Sorry if this message sounds offensive, but I would like you to share your experiences and opinions with this update.

---------------------------------------------------

If you are having problems with this update, I would definitely recommend uninstalling it. And here I got some solutions for some special occasions:

-------- In case Windows Update updates automatically --------

You can use this link to download the “wushowhide.diagcab” application that should fix this problem.

------ If the option to remove the KB5036893 update does not appear in Windows Update, this might help you ------

You can try using this command in CMD:

wusa /uninstall /kb:5036893

---------------------------------------------------

I hope this helps you.

-------------------------------

If you experience what happened to me, where you get a blue screen of death, and it’s impossible to recover the Windows boot, you will need to use a USB to reinstall it, and then pause the updates before Windows Update automatically updates, then use the “wushowhide.diagcab” application that I left in the part above.

Sadly, I've seen people saying not even reinstalling Windows can fix the problem, so I hope is not your case.

-------------------------------

Again, I hope this helps, and also, I would like to hear your opinions on this.

|

Was this discussion helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I received the very same update on 4-20-2024, and my computer has no problems. These updates are tested by millions of Windows Insiders before they are released to the public.

Uninstall the update, then try to figure out what issues your computer may have that prevent the update from installing correctly. Think of any significant changes that have been made to the computer. You may need to show your computer to a professional.

As a last resort, you can do a clean install of Windows 11. A clean install is where you erase the hard drive and reinstall a fresh copy of Windows. We can provide detailed help with that.

Preparation is the nemesis of failure.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Maybe, I'll anyways try to check this with a professional, yes.

Just wanted to tell my opinion.

By the way, doing a clean install with the last version available of Windows 11 didn't worked for me, I still have my suspects, but since a lot of people is having problems also specifically with "Apps not opening after a lot of minutes" is making me doubt, I'll just wait for any news for now.

still, thanks.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Johan, we have experienced similar problems as well on 3 different machines. I've also uninstalled KB5036893 and so far it has stopped giving a BSOD. So there is a problem with this KB release.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

"So there is a problem with this KB release."

If that's the case, can you explain why my computer doesn't have a problem?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

You are asking a vague question. You can not compare your configuration with the rest of us who are having this type problem specifically with this KB.

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

So you think the problem might have something to do with your computers' configuration, rather than the update itself?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Moderator note -

John_Wick99 please keep it friendly and avoid name calling.

from the Microsoft Community Code of Conduct
Please do:

• Be polite and respectful in your posts, and in your replies to other people.

• Keep conversation threads on track. It's okay to disagree with another user's post, but don't take the thread off track to do so.

• Keep it clean. No profanity, obscenity, insulting or bigoted comments please. No name-calling.

continued violations of the Code of Conduct could result in your profile being suspended or removed.

Give back to the community. Help the next person who has this issue
by indicating if this reply solved your problem. Click Yes or No below.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Will be testing the KB5036980 to see how it works on my PC

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

My computer has been experiencing a similar issue with a Blue Screen of Death (BSOD). The updated applied about 9 days ago or so, and when I turned on my computer on 4/21/24, it would not load (didn't even know it had installed an update). I got a BSOD with some memory corruption error. I tried repairing Windows with the option that the computer offered, but that didn't work. Finally, I was able to just go to Win 11 using that option somehow. When I got logged in, I repaired Windows using the DSIM health option (whatever the actual command is), but, before I could stop the updates being installed, it had already downloaded/prepped the 6890 update (may have been 6893, not exactly sure). I created a restore point, and, the other day, I created a recovery drive. Unfortunately, that was after the update had installed. Just a few minutes ago, I returned to my computer, and everything was frozen, no Ctrl + Shift + Esc, no Start Menu, nothing would respond. I hard shutdown the desktop, waited, turned it back on, and an instant BSOD because Windows couldn't start properly. Tried to use the Recovery Drive, but the computer wouldn't load from it, even though I don't have Bitlocker turned on. Maybe the update screwed up the Recovery drive actually working properly, since Windows was already screwed up when I made it? I was able to get back into Windows by using the Restore Point that I had created, though several programs had to be reinstalled because they wouldn't open (same thing happened last time as well with the first BSOD attack). Thanks Windows. I just turned off updates for 5 weeks, but that's the most Microsoft allows. They really are a massive pain.

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

On KB5036093.

This one has put my Win10 out of business completely.

I also tried for a couple of weeks messing with drives like your experience.

currentlly trying to figure out any method for restoration of an operating system.

Unbelievable mess.

It cannot even get to a drive - only the bios functions!

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Discussion Info

Last updated May 12, 2024 Views 1,692 Applies to: