KB4579311 keeps trying to install and fails everytime

I think I stepped on someone else's post, so I am re-posting this. (I originally replied to the post on 10/16/2020, so the date sequence might be a little out of context.)

"2020-10 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 2004 for x64-based Systems (KB4579311)Failed to install on ‎10/‎15/‎2020 - 0x800f0988". It hung at 0%, 11%, 13%, 14%, 15%, 16%, 17%, 18%, 19%, 20%, jumped to 73%, then stated an error message and wanted me to try again. It was late evening 10/15/2020, so I shut down. I booted up this morning and it looks like the same sequence is occurring.

Same problem this morning. It went from 73% to 100% then an error occurred.

"Error encountered

Last checked: Yesterday, 10:26 PM

There were some problems installing updates, but we'll try again later. If you keep seeing this and want to search the web or contact support for information, this may help: (0x800f0988)"

Retry

KB4579311 failed to install thru Windows update 3, actually 4, times, so I went to the Microsoft Download Center, picked the proper download and tried to install from there. That also failed. I also have not seen the Malicious Software removal tool for October.

10/17/2020: It is trying to install again this morning with the same apparent problem, so I paused it for now.

Dell XPS-8100

Windows 10 Pro

v2004

OS Build 19041.508

i5 Processor

8GB Ram

|
Hi ChuckV1, I am Paulo. I'm an Independent Advisor and an individual like you inclined to help.

I have encountered this issue as well. What fixed mine was resetting the Windows Update using this article

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/24742-reset...

(Disclaimer: Tenforums is a non-Microsoft website but the page provides accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the site before you decide to download and install it.)

Let me know if this helps.

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Not seeing this on either of my 2 Dell PCs.
Windows 10 Pro Slow Ring

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Paulo,

After reading the news articles regarding KB4579311 and KB4577671, I am leaving my computer updates on "pause" until Microsoft takes care of the issues. (I looked at the Microsoft download center and was not able to find KB4579311 as I was did before.)

Thanks,

cv

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

I have tried this solution a few times it does NOT work for me (maybe for other people too), Besides not being able to install KB4579311 I cannot even install Windows 10, update 20H2. Is Windows even TRYING to fix this problem? 

5 people found this reply helpful

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 30, 2021 Views 1,847 Applies to: