KB4565503 Causing black screen "Generic Non-PnP Monitor was not migrated due to partial or ambiguous match"

Just updated to KB4565503 and whatever other update was available earlier today and now the monitor won't show Windows (just a black screen) outside of Safe Mode. I should have known better after last month when a KB disabled access to my older multi-function printer. 

The monitor is running on MS's Generic Non-PnP Monitor driver, which of course autoMS insists is the latest and bestest even when it's not working.

Under Monitors in Device Manager, the generic reports events as:

Device configured (monitor.inf)

Device DISPLAY\Default_Monitor\1&8713bca&0&UID0 was configured.

Driver Name: monitor.inf

Class Guid: {4d36e96e-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}
Driver Date: 06/21/2006
Driver Version: 10.0.19041.1
Driver Provider: Microsoft
Driver Section: NonPnPMonitor.Install
Driver Rank: 0xFF0000
Matching Device Id: MONITOR\Default_Monitor
Outranked Drivers: monitor.inf:*PNP09FF:00FF2000
Device Updated: false

Parent Device: ROOT\BasicDisplay\0000

Directly above it at the exact same second, it reports:

Device not migrated

Device DISPLAY\Default_Monitor\1&8713bca&0&UID0 was not migrated due to partial or ambiguous match.

Last Device Instance Id: DISPLAY\SAM02B6\5&516fe02&0&UID4352

Class Guid: {4d36e96e-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}

Location Path: 

Migration Rank: 0xF000FFFF0000F102

Present: false

So, obviously I can't update it, there's nothing to rollback, already tried disabling it and uninstalling it, but as it's a MS problem, there's no other driver I can use. Now what?

(Running Win10 ver. 2004)

I'd also like to add that the last problem took nine days for another KB to be issued. Nine days stuck using Safe Mode would... suck, not gonna lie.

|

Wanted to update on my situation.

After I went through several clean reinstalls (don't know if I could have fixed it without doing that) I called Microsoft support and they walked me through several escalating troubleshoots until going through a clean reinstall using a USB with ver. 2004 created through the media creation tool (https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10) and walk through those too. I finally got through a complete install and reached the desktop before another black-sod occurred. At that point, the tech suggested redoing the USB in case something about that installer was borked, and we agreed to hang up the phone as there was no point in waiting on it.

For whatever reason, I ended up restarting the pc and letting it run instead of restartX3 to Safe Mode, and was surprised to get to the sign-in screen. I got a report that Win 10 uninstalled "something" that was preventing startup. I very gingerly started reinstalling stuff until I got to GeForce Experience (NVIDIA GTX 1050 TI) and attempted to install the latest drivers, at which point BAM black-sod. I hit the restart button, and Win again reported it uninstalled "something".

So, I got a 'mostly' working computer again, but looking up the issue of NVIDIA GPUs, all I find is that there's an issue with 'older drivers only' (say what??) and that MS and NVIDIA are working on it. At the end of the day, I can't run anything that needs hardware acceleration, so most games are out (Hearthstone will work, but Diablo III won't), which in that respect, is pretty much back where I started when I was stuck in Safe Mode.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Wow, that was a real runaround. Glad you got to the bottom of it. The issue can be monitored here...

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/release-information/status-windows-10-2004#418msgdesc

2004 Dashboard -- Issue with older drivers for Nvidia display adapters (GPU)

It says, "The affected drivers are any version lower than 358.00". Also, "Next steps: Microsoft is working on a resolution and estimate a solution will be available in mid-August".

So, it's coming soon. Good luck.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Update 2: HOLY FRACK I FIGURED IT OUT!

The automatic repair uninstallation that I mentioned before gives a link for info, which I'm adding for completeness (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4492307/windows-10-startup-failure-removed-recently-installed-updates). This left me working with (reportedly according to Device Manager) a NVIDIA GTX 1050 TI without a fully working driver. I could see the technical driver version (xx.xx.xx ect.)

From a post I made on another site (of which I completely have lost track of) it was recommended to me to use "DDU" (Display Driver Uninstaller) to uninstall the Nvid drivers (https://www.wagnardsoft.com/display-driver-uninstaller-ddu-). Following the instructions, it got rid of all the Nvid-related drivers, including PhysX and GeForce Experience. This left me working with the MS basic graphics driver (and still at 800x600 p). After restarting, after some time spent with the desktop I'd get the bk-sod with the accompanying Device Disconnect (Windows Hardware Remove.WAV). Restart several times, got automatic repair uninstallation, which left me with MS basic graphics driver, but also with the Nvid drivers listed in Apps & Features (Settings > Apps > Apps & Features). Did the GPU attempt to reinstall the drivers? Leftovers from when Windows auto repaired? I don't know, but this point is important for later. At this point I began making manual restore points (This PC > Properties > System > System protection > Create) so I'd have a stable point to go back to. Realizing that GeForce Experience was still listed but with 0 bytes attributed to it, I took a moment to 'uninstall' it and clear it from the list, just to make things a bit cleaner.

In an attempt to get more fine control of how and what Nvid drivers were installed, I looked up nvidia.com and found the latest Game Ready Driver for Win10 (64x) and my card through manual search (https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/drivers/). These also include GeForce Experience as an optional install. I did make mistakes while test installing, such as choosing Express install, then allowing HD Audio driver to install, which disabled sound in Safe Mode (reinstalled motherboard's Realtek and watched to not do that again). Each installation failure was met with the usual bk-sod.

While examining the Custom install menu choices before having yet another go at it, I noticed that it lists the program versions of the driver package (New Version) and the Current Version of the drivers it has discovered in your system. I then remembered that before I 'uninstalled' GeForce Experience from the apps list, it was also listed by the Nvidia Installer as being installed. Could it be that it was solely relying on the Apps list to determine what was installed? While this wouldn't really affect PhysX and GeForce Experience as far as I can tell, this would likely be crucial to how it installed the graphic driver itself, as it would probably try to update a driver that wasn't actually there, versus a clean, complete installation.

I exited the Nvidia Installer, 'uninstalled' the graphics driver from the Apps list, and restarted the Nvidia Installer to find the current graphics driver listed as 'None', as it should be. I went ahead with the installation... and it worked!

The end result is a fully working, normal mode Windows, with a properly installed graphics driver, allowing for full GPU hardware acceleration, and not being limited to 800x600. This was a very long, frustrating journey with ver. 2004, but I hope this will end up helping someone else out there.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Congratulations getting off that long & winding road. Amazing! (But poor old McCartney is alone again.)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated January 30, 2021 Views 1,317 Applies to: