KB4515384 breaks Action Center

Hi,

after installing KB4515384 my Action Center in Windows 10 can't be opened anymore - works again after removing todays update. Well, at least the CPU bug in Search is gone…

Regards,

Tom

Discussion Info

Last updated February 13, 2020 Views 3,446 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Agreed on all counts. I removed everything back to the start of the month and it did "fix" 2/3 of the issues, but I could not get the AC to work right or search again, something was still consuming all or most of my bandwidth bringing everything to a crawl, etc.

I finally broke down yesterday and pulled out my last backup which (fortunately) was only 10 days old at that point. I keep programs and data on different SSDs but did a full C: restore while the PC was disconnected entirely from the network. Once back "alive" again I disabled all auto updates out until mid-November, which I will keep or until I hear MS has fully tested and vetted a solution to this mess.

At least now I have my computer back again...

Same here, lots of my taskbar functions are not working since the latest update. The Start Menu is OK, but Search, right clicking any open applications tabs, and left clicking Sound and Clock (for mini calendar) are all totally unresponsive.

Please MS, sort this out ASAP, it's absolutely not on.

It breaks more than action center...

Yes, same here. It looks like it's breaking stuff depending on the new UI, like start-search, calendar, action center, various pop-ups in the settings app (eg. the "add a family member button" does nothing when clicked) and more.

Uninstalling the update (and pausing updates [forever]) fixes the problems. If it doesn't fix it for you, install and uninstall again.

September 23, 2019—KB4522016 (OS Build 18362.357) still causes the same problems, just security fixes for IE
You know I cant help but notice that all the things that are broken from this update (Action center, Calendar, Start Menu, Search, etc.) are all the things that are being updated in Windows 10 1909 launching next week.  So basically they are pushing a defective update and upgrade in the name of time, not quality, because they dont want to miss their deadline so of course it's we dont see a problem, issue resolved.  M$ should be labeled a criminal organization.  They are severely lacking in ethics and morals to the point where they are causing more harm than good.  Evidently it's time for a class action lawsuit... AGAIN!
I have the impression that Microsoft is no longer doing well with the updates because there they have just replaced the KB 4515384 with the KB4524147 but nothing has changed !!!
GCVMP

Hi, I had the same issue with "shellexperiencehost" dissappearing from taskmanager. After some research it turns out the fix (for me anyway) was quite straifgt forword. All other posts regarding this issue gave the correct information EXCEPT for what seems the most crucial first step.

You must first make sure that the service "Capability Access Manager Service" is enabled and running. The confusion is that it used to be its own service (camsvc) but is now part of svchost.exe. My startup line is "C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe -k appmodel -p"

On my PC it was disabled, don't know why or how but was as a result of the KB install (by the way Microsoft deemed this not worthy of investigation as it did not affect so many people. Thanks MS you bunch of tossers).

Next open Poweshell as admin and run the following commands.

Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.Windows.ShellExperienceHost | Foreach{Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

If you don't see any RED warning messages, give it about 1 minute, the 2 services "StartMenuExperienceHost.exe" and "ShellExperienceHost.exe" should start. Check in Taskmanager. Then you should have an active taskbar again. (no reboot required).

I also noticed that a Cortana service was started but this can be removed as per the many other posts out there if you don't want it. Use the free app Winaero Tweaker to customize your preferences.

If you still have problems with your startmenu then follow this link as it has all of the steps detailed for a more comprehensive fix but seeing as my issue was just a deactivated startmenu I did not need to apply and further fixes.

https://www.wintips.org/fix-windows-shell-experience-host-deployment-failed-0x80073d02/

Hope this helps.

And it continues, Microsoft has just replaced the KB 4524147 with the KB 4517389 but the problems are still there !!!
GCVMP

And it continues, Microsoft has just replaced the KB 4524147 with the KB 4517389 but the problems are still there !!!

Hi, did you read the post above from me (JeffAmaqqut) ?

Have you tried it or is your problem something else ?

Jeff

Hi, did you read the post above from me (JeffAmaqqut) ?

Have you tried it or is your problem something else ?

Jeff

Hello, yes of course, I had read your message but my problem is different!
GCVMP