Windows 7 support has ended

Get Windows 10 to continue receiving support.

Upgrade now

KB4480970 - No Networking, Invalid Handle, Error 0X80070035, AMD Computer

January 8, 2019—KB4480970 (Monthly Rollup)  No Networking, Invalid Handle, Error 0X80070035

Windows update installed KB4480970 and said to "Scan for hardware changes"  and other such nonsense after installation to restore networking.  Nothing works. Network Destroyed on AMD computer this was installed on

No other computers can see/connect to/or share files with the AMD computer that has had KB4480970 installed.

The only way to resolve this issue seems to be to un-install KB4480970.  That is all I have found that has worked so far.  I have also HIDE the update from within WINDOWS UPDATE and hope that it will not reinstall..

Please fix Microsoft.

January 8, 2019—KB4480970 (Monthly Rollup)  No Networking, Invalid Handle, Error 0X80070035

Windows update installed KB4480970 and said to "Scan for hardware changes"  and other such nonsense after installation to restore networking.  Nothing works. Network Destroyed on AMD computer this was installed on

No other computers can see/connect to/or share files with the AMD computer that has had KB4480970 installed.

The only way to resolve this issue seems to be to un-install KB4480970.  That is all I have found that has worked so far.  I have also HIDE the update from within WINDOWS UPDATE and hope that it will not reinstall..

Please fix Microsoft.

Can confirm uninstalling the update works.

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Read more about it here:

https://www.askwoody.com/2019/january-patches-for-win7-kb-44080970-and-kb-4480960-break-networking/

The AskWoody website is the best advice you will find on windows Update issues.

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

4 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Security Monthly Quality Rollup  RKB4480970 is known to break network shares when it is installed on a Windows 7 machine that is hosting the share. Uninstalling this update fixes the issue but this is not ideal as you don't benefit from other aspects of this update not related to SMB network shares. Microsoft have issued a fix for this update fault. It can be installed manually from the Windows Update Catalogue. It is KB4487345. You can download it here: https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB4487345. When I first had the issue with KB4480970 I uninstalled it but didn't feel comfortable not being fully up to date. Found out about the fix, re-installed KB4480970, restarted the PC, then installed KB4487345 and restarted again. All is good once again. All my Windows 10 and Linux PCs can see the share on my Windows 7 "server".

Additional Info for Remote Desktop Users. I use my Windows 7 PC as a headless file and print server with no screen or keyboard attached. After installing KB4480970 on my Windows 7 PC I could not see the share but thankfully I could still Remote Desktop on to it from a Windows PC (but oddly not from a Linux PC) to be able to install KB4487345 but the remote desktop client did not log in automatically and I had to manually select a user and then type in my password. 

14 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

FYI, it also affects your Server 2008 R2 servers.

This update resolves the issue where local users who are part of the local “Administrators“ group may not be able to remotely access shares on Windows 7 SP1 and Windows Server 2008 R2 machines after installing the January 8th, 2019 security updates. This does not affect domain accounts in the local "Administrators" group.

Sorry this didn't help.

My windows server 2008 R2 had similar issue after installing KB4480970. Microsoft update KB4487345 fixed it. I had to go to www.catalog.update.microsoft.com to get it because it does not show during the automatic search for updates. Thanks for this helpful thread!

Sorry this didn't help.

I remove this and disable the updates but I’d still reinstalled I hope they get a fix for this

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated January 20, 2020 Views 1,523 Applies to: