KB3035583 Installing Windows 10 using Windows Update?

Would you please tell me how to prevent the installation of KB3035583 in my computer and if it is already installed, how to remove it?  Also, are there other updates that we need to be concerned about that enable this behaviour?

KB3035583 now appears as an Important update in Windows Update and is checked which means it will be automatically installed if the user does not uncheck it.  If automatic update is set, it will install without intervention.

There are credible articles that say that Microsoft either has installed or will install changes to my computer that will enable Microsoft to use it as an advertising platform and then install Windows 10 without first obtaining an informed decision to do so.  I truly hope this is not true.

On behalf of my clients and their 162 Windows "consumer" computers, I must tell you that we do not grant Microsoft or any other vendor the right to do this.  When other Windows players do this, we regard it as malware and take great care to remove it.

Microsoft got to where it is today by selling Windows.  We have spent decades learning how to use Windows and billions of dollars buying Windows computers and Windows software.  We own these systems.  They are ours, not Microsoft's.

Windows Update has earned a huge trust.  We trust Microsoft to use Windows Update to keep our computers safe and secure.  When Patch Tuesday comes along we install all the updates that Microsoft says are "important."  We assume those to be either plugging a security leak or fixing a software error.

We all hope Windows 10 will be something we will want.  We will carefully review and consult trusted advisors before we install Windows 10.  We have seen Windows 8 and rejected it.  Windows 8 is a bad product we did not choose.  

Automatically installing Windows 10 on our computers would be a severe abuse of a well-earned trust.  Changing our computers to enable them to become advertising platforms is also an abuse.

Discussion Info

Last updated December 10, 2018 Views 79,741 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Woody's point is a good one.  What is that Windows 7, 8, and 8.1 users are expecting Microsoft to do for us anyway?  Especially now that all efforts are devoted to pushing Windows 10? 

Do we really expect M$ to offer functional improvements in older software, make them run faster or more efficiently, or clean up previous mistakes?  And what complaints do we have about, say, Win7 that causes us to hope that Windows Update will leave something good in our Christmas stockings?

I look to the rogues in Redmond to continue delivering security updates, and that's only because they have made relatively clear (and perhaps enforceable) promises about how long they will provide such support.  My faith in those promises is not unqualified, and we may all be staring down the barrel if they begin to misrepresent what security updates contain or make other moves of the kind that have become depressingly familiar with this bunch.

And a Happy New Year to all.

There are a few questions I'd like to ask:

1. Windows 7 CZ: Why I cannot unistall some updates ? KB3083710, KB3083324, KB3090045, KB3022345, KB3068708. Even "wusa /uninstall /kb:NNNNNNN /quiet /norestart" didn't help.
  2. Windows 8.x Home Premium CZ: Why it takes such a long time to restart after uninstall? In some cases it takes more than an hour (!!!) until the computer is ready. KB3080149.
  3. Is there an exact order of "uninstalls"? What should be uninstalled in the first step, what should be uninstalled in the last step?
  4. Windows 7 & 8.x CZ: Why do I have to uninstall KB3035583 twice? The W10 update icon remains in the tray after the first uninstall & restart so that I have to uninstall it again. The icon disappears after the second uninstall & restart.

Outside of corporate concerns, or game configuration(up for discussion), or custom programs..... not sure why some users want to stay with win7 or win8x..... over ubuntu or knoppix..... between linux and windows... currently, I like what win10 gives the user.... most import a quick way to reset and recover data, when unanticipated things happen, that can not be resolved with quick research.....   every installed program/app phones home, every operating system phones home.....

https://www.glasswire.com/

can help the paranoid...  and there are many other tools to see things running the novice user does not see (autoruns, process explorer, etc).

A reset to usage on a win7 computer can be painful... and win7 can not be ,fairly, compared to current operating systems from other vendors, like apple, google, and the many linux offerings......  Win10 for me, and most of my small business customers, is a safer, more versatile, and more useful operating system, but not the only one i depend on....

Your reply has little or nothing to do with my post, which is all right, so long as we understand that you just wanted to express your enthusiasm for Windows 10.

In this regard you can be counted upon the millions and millions of users whom M$ says "love" Win10.  But I do not agree with you, nor, more fundamentally, do I agree that those who have paid a license fee for earlier versions of Windows should have their quiet possession disturbed by M$. 

Personally, I have yet to see a list of Win10 features that adds up to a compelling reason to upgrade from Windows 7.  I question whether Win10 is that much more secure than Win7, and I don't see its developers saying much about its being more stable.  If the proposition is that I should accept having my computers constantly transmitting data (including content) to M$ so that it will be easier to recover from a crash, then no thanks.  Anyone who has experienced telephone support these days ought to think twice about placing such reliance upon a corporate behemoth, particularly one that has played so fast and loose with ethics recently.

For me, and apparently for numerous others here, my priority is my productivity and enjoyment of my computers, and assuming that M$S eventually produces a worthwhile upgrade, I will make the change only after the benefits exceed the costs, particularly the downtime and retraining.  That time is not today, nor is it when M$ believes they have made the case, nor when they become anxious to show Wall Street that they have a viable business model.

in Reply to wdburt1's comment:

Ditto (wdburt1's comment)

Why should we have to "upgrade" to Windows 10? I am I'm sure many who are interested and posting on this thread tested Windows 10 and found it wholly un-worthy of any so called "upgrade". Many of us use specialty tools and software, in my case audio recording software and hardware, that is notoriously slow providing support for OS changes. I have problems getting some of my "new" (bought in last year or so) audio hardware and software to even work with Windows 8.1 correctly. In fact, AVID, maker of ProTools Digital Audio Workstations still reccommends 32 bit XP running anything less than the shiniest, newest version of ProTools. At something like $600 or more a pop every time they issue a new version it's not practical to keep updating to newer versions when what you have, are currently using with no problems and are perfectly happy with is working out great. Just because something is newer definately doesn't make it better. Windows 10 is a great example of that. Add in privacy concerns and this update fiasco and I'm going to be riding out with 7 (and Windows 8.1 only grudgingly) until the "wheels fall off". Hopefully by then either Microsoft has corrected this idiotic behavior or some Linux distro gets a little better support from major manufacturers of hardware and software.

I have no idea what the poster is referring to with saying with " most import a quick way to reset and recover data, when unanticipated things happen, that can not be resolved with quick research". I found it nearly as worthless as Windows 8.1 and what they did to backup and restore and the whole refresh or reset thing on Windows 8 and above have never worked (not a single time, not once, no matter how well I tried to configure it) for me on any of my machines and is completely useless to me. If you're comparing it to Windows 8.1 then maybe slightly better but still not better than Windows 7 and certainly no reason to switch for me. Then consider the utter uselessness of the error codes and stupid messages like "Something went wrong" or "Windows 10 installation has failed!" and then nothing else in logs or no way to troubleshoot. If anything they have gotten significantly worse. At least before the error codes used to lead to some specific troubleshooting technique or hotfix. Now your lucky if they are even correct. I can't tell you how many times with Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 I've gotten an error code referring to something that is totally wrong. In many cases I just look it up to try to do the opposite. Example being many problems installing Windows 10 and 8.1 where installation fails for some unknown reason, the error is "Windows 8.1 (or 10) has failed" and there are no logs to be found anywhere. If you call Microsoft or look up many of the codes you may get in bottom left of the error message box, you'll be told to make sure you're connected to the internet, run Windows updates and "always apply most recent updates", unplug devices, take out cmos battery, flash bios and all number of things. Same with the "Please wait, loading" error also on Windows 8.1 and 10 installations. The fix in those cases for me has always been to NOT get updates, NOT report or "help" Microsoft "make this installation better" and to actually remove the Ethernet cable and/or turn off Wireless internet. Works every time, and if I was to only follow what some idiot at MSFT tech support is reading from some other idiot who is writing another vague and dishonest KB article I'd never get anything done.

On another issue, recently noticed that on my Windows 8.1 after finally fixing (in place re-install) the issue with SFC and DISM broken after KB 3022345 wreaked havoc, I have noticed that GWX.exe control app is reporting Windows 10 folder appearing after nearly every reboot. Windows update had been set on "Never". In those cases had rebooted, GWX.exe Control Panel  reports Windows 10 stuff found as soon as I reboot. Then look and see good old Windows BT folder there with stuff already starting to fill it and mysteriously my Windows Update settings are changed to "Automatic". I've had about enough of it, and almost totally finished ever using another MSFT product again for any reason. Also while I was fixing the above issue, a couple of times got BSOD installing a driver while booted to 8.1 DVD, and when recovered from the crash there were two times I then had a mysterious "Unknown Folder" (yes that was the folder name) at  the root c:\ drive and when I opened it, was full of Windows package, security files and manifests for Windows 10. Looked like Winsxs folder contents. Unreal. Next time I'm unplugging the ethernet cable at the very start of any trouble, and after rebooting when I do apply any updates.

Thank you for this report from the real world.  My off-web computer stays off the Internet except to update software at the end of the month, and that's with me watching what's going on.  I choose the end of the month because by then the updates released on the previous second day of each month should have been sorted out (thank you Woody on Windows).

For what it's worth, I have adopted this strategy:

1.)  Accept only Security Updates, once a month (meaning that Windows Update is set to Never Do Squat Unless I Choose It).  Keep a list of M$ malware updates anyway.

2.) Install GWX Control Panel and put it on Monitor Mode for good measure, and

3.) Install Spybot Anti-Beacon, a free program, to (hopefully) prevent my computers from transmitting my personal data to M$.

Why are you suggesting, unnecessary tools for Win10, oh, I forgot you are trying to protect your win7 install.  Discussing the merits of linux or El Capitan vs win7, is much easier...  Gee I am glad zero-day vulnerabilities only come out once a month, I just hope the day is guessed right for the updates to be applied.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc512587.aspx

Most people I know using Pro Tools, are on Mac's, and they cuss every time Apple updates their OS.  Avid Pro Tools 12 is subscription based now.  I liked owning my software, too.....

Monkey57 wrote:

>>> Why are you suggesting, unnecessary tools for Win10, oh, I forgot you are trying to protect your win7 install.  https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc512587.aspx

The "unnecessary tools" are to protect against malware/spyware put out by Microsoft.  But you knew that, didn't you? 

You have not established that Windows 10 is less vulnerable to viruses and spyware than Windows 7.

Finally, I said nothing about owning software.  I did refer to quiet possession of leased property.  Look it up.

Could you please tell us how to prevent Windows 7 from unhiding an update (KB3035583) and installing that previously hidden update?

I spent an entire afternoon recovering several machines from this unexpected behaviour. As you might imagine I had other plans for that afternoon, and I'm pretty certain that Microsoft isn't willing to compensate me for my time.

Best Rgds,

-H-

http://www.canadiantech.info/for-techies/prevent-windows-10/

Prevent Windows 10

December 27, 2015

Microsoft has turned a decades-long respected process — Windows Update — into a malware distribution system.  It is for all intents and purposes forcing innocent and content Windows 7 computer users into “upgrading” to its new Windows 10 version.  It promises to allow return to Windows 7 within 30 days.  That return process is flawed and leaves your computer virtually unusable and requires re-installation of Windows 7.  For some owners without a re-usable Microsoft product key or a factory restore partition on their computers, it results in a useless thing that used to be a computer.

Windows 10 is a completely new and very different Windows.  Nothing like anything you have used before.

1. It is primarily an advertising/sales vehicle.  That’s the keen motivation and reason it is free.
  2. By adopting Windows 10, you sacrifice any privacy — essentially, anything on your computer is Microsoft’s and its partner’s to use as they see fit.
  3. Windows Update becomes non-optional.  You, as owner of your system no longer have control over what happens to your computer.  Microsoft will re-make Windows (on your computer) into what serves its purposes without asking your permission or opinion.
  4. Windows 10 as a system is still full of un-fulfilled promises and bugs.  Many of your programs will not run on Windows 10.  In fact, the “upgrade” process removes some.

So, if you like Windows 7, and most do very much so, I advise you to reject Windows 10 for the foreseeable future.  Be advised that Microsoft has committed to support Windows 7 until at least January, 2020.  Most of your current computers will last that long.

You must adopt a protective stance to prevent your Windows 7 system from becoming something you do not want.

I have advised my clients to change the Windows Update Setting to Never check for updates.  Once a month, about a week after the 2nd Tuesday, they will get an email from me advising to manually start WU and then hide every update except for ones specifically labeled Security.  In other words, Security updates only will be applied.  In all of 2015, not a single update that was not security, was something that improved Windows 7.

http://www.infoworld.com/article/3016033/microsoft-windows/enough-already-microsoft-pushes-windows-nagware-patch-kb-3035583-for-sixth-time.html

Some may scoff at this idea.  Well they are incorrect.  Never means you are never giving Microsoft a chance to decide what you download and install.  It does NOT mean you will never update.  The difference is that now you take control and the responsibility of updating of Windows and Office.

Some may believe that Microsoft would not do such a stupid thing.

You must read Woody Leonhard (one of the most respected writers in the trade)  http://www.infoworld.com/article/2983777/microsoft-windows/how-to-clean-the-windows-10-crapware-off-your-windows-7-or-81-pc.html?nsdr=true Woody calls the Windows 10 download “crapware.”  Woody’s advice is that if you have Windows 7, keep it, you are better off by far.

If you see the Windows flag on the bottom right of your screen, chances are pretty high, your computer already has the Win10 file. Even if you do not, it may be on your computer shortly anyway.  Here are instructions on how to rid yourself of it:

First download and run GWX Control panel.  A free app:  http://ultimateoutsider.com/downloads/

http://www.infoworld.com/article/2979572/microsoft-windows/gwx-stopper-an-easy-way-to-permanently-delete-get-windows-10-nagware-in-windows-7-and-81.html

It will allow you to prevent any future operating system upgrades and delete downloaded Win10 files, but it will not remove any of Microsoft’s installed or attempts to install spyware.

This process works, but it only works if you do all the steps and do them in order.

1. Take Windows Update off automatic — Never check for updates
  2. Windows Update, Installed updates, WAIT a long time till you see the green bar complete its long trip to the right
  3. Now, search for each of the listed updates, uninstall them.  You must wait until the list is re-created each time.
  4. If there are others you want to uninstall, click Later
  5. Then, clear the search box and after the list is again displayed, enter another KB number.
  6. Restart the PC

If you choose “check for updates, but let me choose whether to download and install them”, Microsoft will download an “important” updates like KB3035583 to your computer.  It will be pre-checked — selected.  Unless you check Windows Update (WU) and discover this BEFORE you shut down, it will install it during the shut-down process.   Hiding accomplishes nothing.

This is more than annoying.  It goes way beyond that.  It is underhanded, dishonest and just plain wrong for Microsoft to do this.  There is no offer to accept or refuse.  There is no informed consent.  There is not even an idea of what it is your getting and what the result is if you change your mind.

List of updates that if already installed should be removed:

KB3035583
KB2952664
KB2977759
KB3021917
KB3075249
KB3080149
KB3083710
KB3083324
KB3090045
KB3112343 (new dec 2015)
KB3022345