Java error - 1603 after upgrading from windows 8 to windows 8.1

Hi! to all members,

It's just been a week since i had upgraded my laptop from windows 8 to windows 8.1,recently while checking whether my pc is enough capable to run a game or not i encountered a java problem. When the check was going on i got a message on top of my google chrome stating that install java, so i went to java site and started to download java version (8.5), after downloading when i was installing java it gave me an error  named - "1603 installation can't complete" while the install was about to be finished. The reason for the failure was that J2p launcher.exe was running, but when i tried to search it in the task manager there was no such process running. this problem didn't existed before the upgrade don't know what actually happened after the upgrade? but this is very annoying to me as a result due to this problem i'm unable to check whether my pc is enough capable to run a game or not. So it is my request to you all to help me figure out the solution.

Thanks & Regards to all members in advance to help me.

Hi Aryan,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

I understand that you are getting error "1603 installation can not complete" while installing Java. This issue could be caused if the game is not compatible with Windows 8.1.

To help you better on this issue, I want to know:

1. How you are playing the game? Is it online or standalone game?
  2. On playing which game you are facing this issue with?

Note: If you have issues with playing online game, please check if the issue persists with Internet Explorer and let us know.

Please check the compatibility of the game with Windows 8.1. If the issue is with compatibility, you can install the game in compatibility mode. Please refer the link below.

Windows 8.1 compatibility center.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/compatibility/CompatCenter/Home

Basic troubleshooting tips for Java issues.

http://www.java.com/en/download/help/troubleshoot_java.xml

Please try the suggestions provided and let us know the status of the issue so that we can help you further.

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

i'm not playing any game online, i'm just checking out whether the games system requirement is compatible with mine or not?So for that the websites require java applets to run java, then only it can be checked.i'm not checking compatibility related to windows but related to pc specs(Specifications).

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Aryan,

Thank you for the information. If you need java applets to check the compatibility of the game then to fix this issue, you may Repair the first installation of java applets. If you can successfully repair them, then we should be able to update to the latest version of Java without any issue.

Unfortunately, you can’t repair from within Programs and Features, so you need to find the original MSI file. If you can’t find the MSI file, you’ll need to find its’ location in the Registry.

First, you’ll need to get the exact version of Java that is broken on your computer.

Registry disclaimer:

Important this section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

322756 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756/ )

How to back up and restore the registry in Windows?

Please follow the steps below and check if it helps.

Go to Control Panel-> Programs and Features, find and highlight Java 7 and write down the version on the bottom of the screen.

1. Press Windows + R Key.
  2. Type regedit and click OK and navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Uninstall.     
  3. Press Ctrl+ F and search for your version (for example 7.0.90).
  4. Once registry editor finds the key, open Windows Explorer and navigate to the folder listed in the Install Source“.
  5. Find the MSI, right-click and Repair.

Keep the registry Editor open, so that we can delete some more keys from Registry.

Follow the steps below:

1. On Registry Editor, navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\CLASSES\INSTALLER\PRODUCTS.
  2. Search for your java version number. When you find the key for Java, Export it and then delete it
  3. Now export and delete these two keys – HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\JavaSoft\Java Runtime Environment HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\wow6432node\JavaSoft\Java Runtime Environment
  4. Go back to your original MSI and try to reinstall the original version. If all was done correctly, it should be successful.
  5. If you were able to follow the above steps successfully, then try to update to the latest version of Java. That should work.

Hope this helps. Please let us know if the issue is resolved.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Go to Control Panel-> Programs and Features, find and highlight Java 7 and write down the version on the bottom of the screen.

"there isn't no java program installed being displayed there" but some how i managed to find the version and it was 7 Java update 45, but when i tried it to search in the registry by typing 7.0.45 there was no such version installed.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Aryan,

As you are unable to locate the Java Runtime Environment in registry. You might have to add some keys and values manually in registry that are missing related to Java.

Before we manually add the keys, I suggest you to re-install your Java Runtime Environment and check if it helps. Re-installing JRE will rebuilt the missing keys from registry.

Visit the Java website and try to download and install the JRE installer 7.0.45 version. Restart the system and check the issue.

Hope it helps. Let us know the status of the issue.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Komal,

As per your suggestion i tried to reinstall the java  this is what happens :-

this is what best i can do to make understand you all my "java install 1603 error"

Thanks to you all for your support & assistance in advance.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Aryan,

Thank you for the detailed response. As Java is not listed in the programs and features, please run the uninstaller and check the issue.

Method 1: Run the Java uninstaller tool.

This tool will make sure that traces of Java keys are removed from the registry.

Registry disclaimer:

Important this section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

322756 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756/ )

How to back up and restore the registry in Windows?

http://www.java.com/en/download/uninstallapplet.jsp

After running the Java uninstaller tool check if you are able to install the required version of Java.

After running the uninstaller tool check if you are able to install Java, if not proceed with method 2.

Make sure your existing installation of an Antivirus/Firewall does not block the installation of Java, disable it temporarily.

Method 2: Disable anti-virus. (If you have Windows defender turned on, please follow the steps to turn it off).

When you disable Antivirus:

Important Note: Antivirus software can help protect your computer against viruses and other security threats. In most cases, you shouldn't disable your antivirus software. If you have to temporarily disable it to install other software, you should re-enable it as soon as you're done. If you're connected to the Internet or a network while your antivirus software is disabled, your computer is vulnerable to attacks.

Sometimes the Antivirus program installed on your computer may try to block the installation of the third party programs .So for temporary purpose you can disable the antivirus program and later enable it by following the below steps.

1. Go to the Start.
  2. Type "defender" in search. Open Windows Defender from list.
  3. Click on Settings tab.
  4. Click on Administrator.
  5. Uncheck "Turn on Windows Defender" and Save Changes.

For most Antivirus programs, there is an icon next to the clock in the task bar, you should be able to right click the icon and either be able to disable it from there or you can go into the options and disable it.

Note: Once you have successfully installed Java applets, you can turn on Windows Defender or your Antivirus program.

If method 2 doesn’t help, proceed with method 3.

Method 3: Perform Disk Cleanup.

Also make sure that you have enough free disk space. To make some disk space available follow the steps below:

1. Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
  2. Click Performance and Maintenance.
  3. Click Free up space on your hard disk.
  4. The Disk Cleanup dialog box appears.
  5. On the Disk Cleanup tab, select the following check boxes:
    • Downloaded Program Files.
    • Temporary Internet Files.
    • Temporary Files.
    • Temporary Offline Files Offline Files.
  6. Click OK to delete the files from these locations.
  7. When prompted, click Yes start the disk cleanup.

After trying the above methods try to install Java and check if is installing without any error message.

Please let us know if the above methods helped to fix the issue.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

HI Komal,

I'm glad that you are helping me to solve this problem, but would like you to know that the problem is still not going after applying all the 3 methods the result is same ): java install 1603 error & this all ends up to the installation phase.

Thanks In advamce for all your supports

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Thank your for your response.

Thank you for posting the screenshot of the issue and it clarifies the issue.

I am sorry for the delay in reply.

This issue can be caused due to software conflicts.

Hence I suggest you to place the computer in clean boot and then check the issue.

You can refer the article to place the computer in clean boot.

A clean boot helps to eliminate software conflicts and to determine what is causing the problem.

Refer the link below to perform clean boot.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note: After you have finished troubleshooting, refer the section “How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with clean boot” for Windows 8/8.1, given under the section “More Information” to reset the computer to start as usual from the above link.

Run SFC scan.

System File Checker is a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files.

Refer the link below to run SFC scan.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

If the issue persists create a new user profile.

You can refer the link to create a new profile.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/create-user-account#create-user-account=windows-8

Keep us posted on the results. Do reply if you need further assistance, we will be happy to help you.  

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I got around this error by downloading the 64bit SDK version  8u77 and installing it.  It gave me the 1603 error but when i closed it a pop up said it was installed successfully.  I was able to open the app i needed to use that required java.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 17, 2022 Views 5,255 Applies to: