I've installed security update windows xp (kb2859537) 10 times over the past 3 days ( 1ce cancelled earlier on)

I've installed security update windows xp (kb2859537) 10 times over the past 3 days (+ 1ce cancelled earlier on) & each time succeeded yet it comes up again each time (often quite shortly after) needing to be installed again

Is Security Update for Windows XP (KB2859537) listed in Add/Remove Programs (after first making sure the Show Update option at the top is checked)?

How about Security Update for Windows XP (KB2839229)?

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
Microsoft MVP (Windows Client) since October 2002

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I suggest you consider yourself lucky that it has failed to install or if it did, you haven't had any adverse effects from the update. There are a lot of reports about issues with this update online posted by some windows 7 Users and by articles published..

Read more:

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Microsoft-KB2859537-Update-Causes-BSOD-on-Windows-7-375659.shtml

http://www.askwoody.com/category/microsoft-windows-patches-security/

So I suggest you hide it for now

Take time to let us know if the suggestion worked...or not.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for reply. I've looked it up & the said kb2859537 is listed as installed on 15th, though windows has continued loading it ever since & presenting it 'ready to install' ever since. My Mcafee internet security's vulnerability scanner which detects windows & other programs needing updating also detected it & 'successfully did' some of the updates ( kb2839229's given as installed on 12th).

Assuming it's loaded Ok How can I avoid the constant reloading of it, or turn off my computer wthout installing it again?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Please answer each of the following [admittedly tedious] diagnostic questions in a correspondingly-numbered list in your very next reply, preferably without quoting my post:

1. How long has McAfee Internet Security been installed and when (exact date, preferably) does your current subscription expire?

2. Has any other McAfee application or a Norton application EVER been installed on the computer?

3. Did a McAfee free-trial or a Norton free-trial [PICK ONE] come preinstalled on the computer when you bought it? (Doesn't matter if you never used or Activated it.)

4. Open Add/Remove Programs & make sure the Show Updates box at the top is checked (and leave it checked); then select the Name option in the Sort by box on the right. Now scroll down & tell me if ALL of the following other updates are listed?

(a) KB2862772 & KB2850851;
    (b) KB2797052, KB2780091 & KB2802968;
    (c) KB2758857 & KB2727528;

(d) KB2393802 and especially Update for Windows XP (KB971029).

Most will be displayed as Security Update for Windows XP followed by the KB number in parentheses.

If IE8 is installed, one (1) will be displayed as Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 8 followed by the KB number in parentheses.

5. Is Firefox, Chrome or any other alternate browser installed?

6a. Assuming Java is installed => Is Java Version 7 Update 25 (or higher) installed? TEST HERE USING INTERNET EXPLORER ONLY! => http://java.com/en/download/installed.jsp

6b. Is Adobe Flash Player v11.8.800.94 installed? TEST HERE USING INTERNET EXPLORER ONLY => http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/

7. Are you in the habit of using "Registry cleaners" (e.g., Registry Mechanic; RegCure; RegClean Pro; Advanced SystemCare; Registry Booster; McAfee QuickClean; AVG PC TuneUp; Norton Registry Cleaner; PCTools Optimiser; SpeedUpMyPC; PC Doctor; TuneUp Utilities; WinMaximizer; WinSweeper; Comodo System Cleaner; Advanced System Optimizer; CCleaner Registry Cleaner)?

8. Have you ever had occasion to do a Repair Install or a clean install of WinXP for any reason?

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

1 Mcafee expires 7/27/2014 It came installed on the computer (2006?). But 9th aug it got stuck on updating at 50% for >1hr, & via McA chat line was uninstalled using the Mcafee setup given; but the installation hung up asking for a file & it needed 2nd chatline call (involved running removal tool to clear Mcafee remnants & fixed the holdup, & a 2nd reinstall

2 I have mcafee security scan & mcafee virtual technician.

3 McAfee was pre-installed

4 all were there

5 chrome & firefox are installed & I use firefox

6a version 7 update 25 (i see they advise checkg & removg old vsns)

6b adobe flash wasnt up to date it seems. I've updated it & retested & it says it's uptodate 11,8,800,94(used iexp as advised to test java & flash)

7haven't used registry cleaners

8no

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

McAfee (and Norton) applications are notorious for not uninstalling or upgrading cleanly. The 7+ years of McAfee "leftovers" was the most likely troublemaker here - but now that the McAfee techs have removed the McAfee application, run the McAfee Consumer Products Removal tool & done a clean install of the application, all should be well.

ACTIONS:

Tip: You may want to print the following instructions for offline reference.

ACTIONS

1a. Open Internet Explorer (only!) to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/910336 [ignore the title & Symptoms].

1b. IMPORTANT! => Dismiss/close the Windows Update troubleshooter "pop-up!" - then...

1c. Ignoring any "Not recommended" or similar warnings, run Fix It 50202 in DEFAULT and then AGGRESSIVE modes. [1]

2. Reboot, then IMMEDIATELY...

3. Open Internet Explorer (only!) to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com | Select CUSTOM and scan.

=> In the Optional Software updates category on the left-hand side of the scan results window, uncheck KB2859537 and hide it ("Don't show me this update again").

=> If a Root Certificates update is listed in the Optional Software updates category, install it to take full advantage of IE8's enhanced security.

=> Tip: With the sole exception of updates for MS Office, do NOT install any other Optional Software updates nor any Optional Hardware updates; just hide them, too.

Now return to the main results window & install all updates listed (if any); follow all prompts.

Note: Of course, you should install any security updates listed in the main results window!

4. Reply to this post with a status report.

=======================================================
[1] Full Disclosure: Running the Fix It in Aggressive mode will delete your Update History (at Windows Update website) but not the list of installed updates in Add/Remove Programs.

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Sorry for being so late replying, but this computer mess-up came at a most unfortunate time.

I followed your instructions; but in part 3 , realising my explorer's setup to open on Virgin media page (Mcafee often blocks parts of it) I waited for McAfee to be fully installed then opened explorer, quickly opened a 2nd window & closed Virgin window & then to windows update. But kb 285953 was in the high priority update list. So I did custom install & unchecked kb 285953 & computer was wkng normally a day or so till kb 285953 came up again so I both unchecked & hid it. & since then no problems with windows but now it's come up with another update, Windows Media Format Runtime 11 for Windows XP (KB2834904) ; & this is already installed in my "add or remove" list.

In this situation it becomes hard to know what's true or false. But can I assume that anything in that 'currently installed' list is currently installed, & if it was somehow deleted or corrupted would disappear from the list? And can I assume that these security updates don't themselves need updating (ie once there dont need replacing)?

On this basis I've unchecked & hidden this new update. Many thanks for your careful instructions & please let me know if there's more to be done

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Very good. You're welcome & thanks for your feedback.

Fact: If an update is listed in Add/Remove Programs, it is installed no matter what Windows Update or Update History has to say about it.

PS: Was a Root Certicates update (KB931125) offered and if so, did you (successfully) install it? [1]

==============================================================
[1] Proving that there's an exception to every rule, KB931125 will not be listed in Add/Remove Programs or Update History.

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 19, 2019 Views 1,062 Applies to: