It has taken five hours to install the latest Windows Updates? And PRINTER Problems too. Windows 10.

My Windows was previously v.1909, build 18363.00 and was installed ten days ago.

Late last night, I had an email notification from Microsoft that there was another Update due. (I subscribe to email notifications from them.) At 6am today I checked for and found the Features Update so I clicked to install it. 

Nearly four hours hours later (9.50am), I saw this screen "Working on Updates. Don't turn off your PC. This will take a while. Your PC will restart several times."
But this was supposed to be the latest Update? Why did it need to check for other updates? (I couldn't take a snip of this, of course.)

When it finished it at 10.45am it said there were some problems installing the updates.

I clicked Retry and my 'Check for Update' screen had gone - I've had this before - but, thank goodness, it returned a second or two later.   

The "Check for Windows" screen now said that there was another Windows Update available. This finished at 11.11am. This showed the screen below. It has two 'restart now' options and I've not seen it before:

A nice touch was that when it was restarting, the 'Restarting screen' was blue, rather than the normal black. This was much easier to read but it hasn't appeared since. Can the programming team let us have it?

After more than five hours, one Feature Update and two Quality Updates, I now have Window 10 version 2004 v.19041.329.

I'm pleased and relieved to have gotten there in the end but what caused this long and tortuous route? Was it me or was it a Microsoft issue?

Hi again Taffy

That is Feature Update 2004, that is a big update and can take a long time to install

Many users are finding that update will fail to install, because it is being released in phases, it is only an optional update at this time and is only compatible with a small sub-set of Windows devices at this time

If you are experiencing difficulty installing version 2004, you should wait a month or so, until Microsoft resolve some of the bugs in that update and it has matured . . .

Power to the Developer!

MSI GV72 - 17.3", i7-8750H (Hex Core), 32GB DDR4, 4GB GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, 256GB NVMe M2, 2TB HDD

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for this Dave. I understand now why it was so long and complicated.

But what I still don't understand is why after it was installed, up popped a screen that said "Working on Updates. Don't turn off your PC. This will take a while. Your PC will restart several times."

I've just found this video of it. https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=working+on+updates+don%27t+turn+off+your+pc&docid=608054299504281874&mid=1E9CB714856114B5E3A91E9CB714856114B5E3A9&view=detail&FORM=VIRE

O/s build version 19044.1889 You MUST visit "Sharing experiences and staying safe, together" - see Andreea_C's profile

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

What you see in Settings / Update: 'Installing - x%' is Online preparing phase of any update. When that phase is completed computer must restart for Offline phase to finishing those part of update process that can't be performed while OS is running.

Update time depend on your hardware: Some example of feature updates on my PC's:

- My old (retired)  Core 2 Duo laptop with HDD take about 3 hours to update

- Same old laptop with SSD take about 1.5 hours 

- Intel i5 desktop about 1.5 - 2 hours with HDD and 45 min - 1 hour with SSD

- Intel i7 laptop 45 min - 1 hour with SSD

Update = Replace old bugs with new ones.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

What you see in Settings / Update: 'Installing - x%' is Online preparing phase of any update. When that phase is completed computer must restart for Offline phase to finishing those part of update process that can't be performed while OS is running.

Update time depend on your hardware: Some example of feature updates on my PC's:

- My old (retired)  Core 2 Duo laptop with HDD take about 3 hours to update

- Same old laptop with SSD take about 1.5 hours 

- Intel i5 desktop about 1.5 - 2 hours with HDD and 45 min - 1 hour with SSD

- Intel i7 laptop 45 min - 1 hour with SSD

Thanks @Pauli O, but @DaveM121 has already resolved my problem.

O/s build version 19044.1889 You MUST visit "Sharing experiences and staying safe, together" - see Andreea_C's profile

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I try to answer this part of your reply:

But what I still don't understand is why after it was installed, up popped a screen that said "Working on Updates. Don't turn off your PC. This will take a while. Your PC will restart several times."

When it's time to restart only 1st phase (Online phase) is completer. What you were wondering is 2nd phase (Offline phase) needed for finishing update while Windows is not running.

Update = Replace old bugs with new ones.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

An update Dave. My Brother printer was affected by the Updates***. There is another update to resolve the problem. I now have the choice of searching the catalog for the solution or wait until next month - I'll install the update later today.

Brother told me that they were blind-sided by the problem and received many hundreds of call from angry customers - Microsoft didn't give them a heads-up as they normally do. Anyone who wants to learn more should ask Bing or Google "statement from Microsoft re latest Windows Updates affected printers". The results will swamp them.

One expert gave his opinion that only hundreds of millions of Windows 10 customers were affected,. Microsoft weren't particularly bothered to alert customers; this is a drop in the ocean to them as there are said to be 1.25 billion customers worldwide.

It seems that KB4560960 was the component in the three updates (I Feature, 2 Quality) that affected printers.

I'll try to edit my heading to mention printer problems.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated November 24, 2023 Views 4,833 Applies to: