Issues with SSD and SATA drives

Hello,

I have two issues regarding my two hard drives.  One is an HDD with 2 TB and the other is an SSD with 1TB.

This is the first time I have had a computer with more than one drive, so when I tried to copy all of my files, programs, user data, etc. over, I went a bit haywire and did a bunch of formatting, cloning, etc.  The big issue was copying all data without having to redownload hundreds of programs and without losing my user data, which I've built over time for convenience. 

Problem 0: A year later, I still have no idea what I did or what I was supposed to do (if you have answers to this latter part, that would be amazing, as I still need to copy stuff over from my old laptop). 

Problem 1: I'm trying to make the SSD (D drive) my boot drive, but it's not even showing up in the msconfig boot tab (see picture below).  As a matter of fact, I never see any activity happening in task manager for this drive (see picture below).  I did a lot of cloning and formatting, so I'm not sure if I need to re-format or something along those lines.  I cannot afford to lose any data, and backing up has not worked well so far, so please bear these in mind.

Problem 2: In the process of switching to this computer, my HDD only uses 1 out of 2 TB.  If you look at the disk management picture below, you'll see it has 936.45 GB in use, which equals the D drive + 5.70 GB unallocated memory in SSD.  So, I have over 900 GB unallocated in the HDD.  How do I fix this?

Thank you in advance!!! 

Pictures:

msconfig boot tab:

Task manager, 2TB HDD drive:

Task manager, 1TB SSD drive:

Disk management:

Hi Rookie_Programmer

I am Dave, an Independent Advisor, I will help you with this . . .

If you have successfully cloned the HDD (C drive) to the SSD (D drive) then to get your PC to boot form the SSD, you need to change the boot sequence in BIOS, not in MSConfig

To change the boot sequence, boot into BIOS, then find the tab with the options of which is the primary boot device and set the SSD as the primary boot device, save those settings and restart your PC

With regards to that unallocated space, you have two options, you can create a new partition on that unallocated space, by right clicking in Disk Management and choosing New - Simple Volume

Or, you can add that unallocated space to the C Drive using a 3rd party partitioning utility like the free version of AOMEI Partition Assistant, because Windows 10 has limited partitioning capability and can only extend into a partition that is directly to the right of the partition

Power to the Developer!

MSI GV72 - 17.3", i7-8750H (Hex Core), 32GB DDR4, 4GB GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, 256GB NVMe M2, 2TB HDD

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Dave, I am not sure if your statement of "if I have successfully cloned" applies, as I cloned them over each other multiple times in my frustration of trying to transfer over files from my old PC.  Basically, I cloned from old PC onto this one, but kept overwriting the two drives, as I was having trouble figuring out if the Windows files, my user data, my documents, and my programs were all there.

I was unable to find any drives in the BIOS Boot tab, though both show up in the Main tab (pictures attached).  As you can see, the "Boot List Option" is grayed out, but I am not sure if that is relevant.

I also remembered that disk defragmenter sees both drives as SDDs, even though only D is an SSD (picture at bottom).  Their "current statuses" are interesting, but I have no idea what they mean.  I also am not sure if the Windows files on D are "valid", so to speak.

As for the unallocated space, would you recommend leaving it as-is or appending it to C?  I am not sure how much either option speeds up / slows down my system in the long run or if unallocated space is automatically appended if I reach a certain amount of usage for C,

As a reminder, the C drive (HDD) is the current boot drive, and my biggest concern is that I want to avoid losing any of my data/files.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Rookie_Programmer

What type of drives to you have are both the HDD and SSD just ordinary SATA drives connected to the motherboard by SATA cables?

Power to the Developer!

MSI GV72 - 17.3", i7-8750H (Hex Core), 32GB DDR4, 4GB GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, 256GB NVMe M2, 2TB HDD

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

As you can see in my task manager pictures, task manager correctly identifies them as HDD and SSD.

I bought the computer from Dell, and don't know for sure how they are connected, but for some reason, I'm leaning towards both having SATA cables.

When I first set up this PC, before doing all of the cloning, etc. it all worked fine, so I think it may be something with all of the cloning and overwriting.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Rookie_Programmer

If both drives are connected to the motherboard with SATA cables, then it would just be a matter of swapping those cables around on the motherboard and your PC should boot from the other drive

Power to the Developer!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Will swapping them cause any issues?  As I said, I am not sure if the Windows OS on the SSD will work, and I am also not good with hardware.

I also don't see how this addresses all of the other issues discussed above.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Rookie_Programmer

Swapping the SATA cables will do no harm, that will either work or it won't, if it does not work, then you can always swap the cables back to their original configuration

Power to the Developer!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated August 7, 2021 Views 109 Applies to: