Is there a way besides setting networks to metered and disabling automatic updates in services.msc to prevent Windows 10 from installing updates without permission or notification?

I ask because those two methods, which are the ones most commonly found on the internet, no longer work. Windows overrides their customers' preferences and settings and shuts down/restarts their personal computers at random times, losing unsaved information during, say, a bathroom break. I have a feeling that the only answer is to stop using Windows products, but looking for alternatives since I would have done that years ago if the software I used wasn't in cahoots with Microsoft. I have had no luck solving this with their support.

Thanks!

Hi cbuttons
with 1909 you can pause updates for up to 35 days, you then only need to check for updates and pause again for a further 35 days.
at least this allows you to choose when do to them.

settings -> update & security -> windows updates
click on advanced options
under pause updates, select a date from the dropdown.

while in advanced options check that the following are turned OFF
"download updates over metered connections" (if you have set the connection as metered)
"restart this device as soon as possible..."

and check that the following is turned ON
"show a notification when your pc requires a restart to finish updating"

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

also in settings -> update & security -> windows updates
click on change active hours
check that it is set to the maximum 18 hours and that it covers the time you are working

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Martmcd - thank you for responding to my issue!

Unfortunately, the version of windows 10 that I am running seems to have already taken those options away from their customers. I've attached a screenshot here. 

Also, I *usually* get a notification that Windows would like to install an update, but it does not ask permission or allow any flexibility. Windows seems to require updates and restarts about once a week, sometimes more, sometimes less. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

they have not been taken away, they are only available in the latest version - 1909
check in settings -> system -> about
under windows specifications
which version are you running? if it is earlier than 1909, the above options will not be available.

if 1909 has not yet been offered through windows update you can get it by clicking update now on the following page
https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-downlo...
although you data should be fine, i recommend you backup first.

the notification should say that it will restart outside active hours, did you check that active hours cover the time you are working?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I see, thank you for clarifying.

In the past, those options have been present, but are not there in my current version.

However, I haven't had an update since yesterday, which was the third in the past week. I will update again and see what happens. The loss of data only happens when windows shuts down and restarts while I have programs running and haven't remembered to save, which would be easier to do if I could control when microsoft decides to restart my machine. 

Thanks again for your help!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

the recommendation of a backup was for if you decided to get the update to 1909 from the link i provided, feature updates make major changes to the operating system it is always a good idea to backup first.

did you check which version you have?

there are updates to windows defender almost daily, these should not require a restart.

one option i didn't mention
if you are running windows 10 professional you can use group policy to warn you of an update and wit for you to say when to download and install.
let me know if you are running pro.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi 

I was running 1809, and after about 16 hours, was able to finally get the 1909 update you recommended. I'm running the home edition.

However, things are much more messed up now (audio and bluetooth no longer function) and I think I'm going to take this quarantine time to finally make the switch to linux. 

Thanks again for your responses!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

you could try updating the drivers for audio and bluetooth, check the computer manufactures support site.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2020 Views 24 Applies to: