Is it safe to delete Windows.old folder?

Original title: Windows 10 upgrade.

Hi,
I recently upgraded my pc to windows 10 from Windows 8.1. During installation, in the step where we are provided option to choose partition where we want to install windows 10, I chose my current windows 8.1 installation partition (ie. C partition) . After installation I saw a folder in c partition which was named as windows.old. I surfed about it online and found that it could be deleted via disk cleanup. My question is that is it safe to do this ?

Answer
Answer

Hi Asad,

Deleting Windows.old folder will not affect your PC. Windows.old folder will contain all the application/files which were installed in your previous Operating system. So, by deleting Windows.old folder, all the applications and files which were there in your old operating system will get deleted.

After a Windows Upgrade, by default, Windows.Old directory will be deleted after 4 weeks. If you find that you no longer have any use for it you can also remove/delete the Windows.old folder manually.

Hope the information helps. Kindly write back to us for further assistance on Windows. We will be happy to assist you.

Thank you.

Thank you
Mohan B P

651 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 7, 2024 Views 122,420 Applies to: