is it possible to upgrade windows from 10 pro OEM to 10 pro retail

Hi, I just bought a new PC yesterday with windows 10 pro OEM. Is it possible to upgrade it to windows 10 pro retail? (OEM to retail is the only change I want to do). Since it's a new PC which did not arrive from the store yet, I don't care if data will be lost. 

I DON'T have a copy of windows 10 pro retail, I was wondering if I can just pay Microsoft the difference between pro OEM and pro retail. 

The reason I want to upgrade, is because I found out that if I change motherboard or whole computer etc. in the future, I will have to re purchase windows. I guess my question is not really upgrading windows, it's more like upgrading the license, since in both cases it's windows 10 pro. 

I have already emailed the store I bought my PC to ask them about it, but did not get a straight answer yet. So I wanted to know from you in general if this kind of upgrade is possible. 

Thank you.

Tal 

That's not an upgrade. You get exactly the same software - only the licensing terms are different.

If you think you might want to upgrade your motherboard, why not wait until then to buy your new license?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi talshachar,

Thank you for letting us know about your inquiry

I am glad to work with you and help you find an answer for your question.

I see that you have some question with upgrading Windows 10 pro OEM to 10 pro retail.

Yes we can upgrade windows from 10 pro OEM to 10 pro retail.

If you purchased a Windows 10 Pro retail license, you can update the product key license and convert your computer to OEM install to retail, which will allow you to have transfer rights and ability to make major modifications on your computer such as the motherboard.

To update the product key:
Click Start >then go Settings > Update & security > Activation > Change the product key

Please let me know on how I can provide further assistance to you.

Thank you again for letting us know about your question talshachar,

May you have a safe and good day.

Best Regards,

Anthony De Jesus
Independent Advisor

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi BulldogXX, 

thank you for your answer

I don't want to buy a new OEM license each time I buy a new computer and\or motherboard because it's more money then to just buy one time a retail license. I know it's the same software, that's why I wrote in my question:
" I guess my question is not really upgrading windows, it's more like upgrading the license, since in both cases it's windows 10 pro."

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The only way is to buy a retail licence. Either in the Windows 10 Store or via the website.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

HI, Anthony1129

Thank you for your answer.

but I want to ask about one sentence you wrote on your reply which is:

"If you purchased a Windows 10 Pro retail license, you can update the product key license and convert your computer to OEM install to retail, which will allow you to have transfer rights and ability to make major modifications on your computer such as the motherboard."

the thing is that I have just purchased an OEM license and I don't want to pay full price to purchase the retail version as well, I was wondering if I can just pay the difference between price of OEM and retail? or in other words pay just for upgrading my OEM license to retail license. 

for example (i'm just making up prices for the example): lets say I have already paid $100 for OEM license, and the price of retail license is $200. Do I have to pay $200 in addition to the $100 I have already paid (total $300), or do I have the option to pay only extra $100 to upgrade my license to retail? (total $200). 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi talshachar,

Thank you for updating me about the issue.

I understand that you have some questions regarding transfer of payment for OEM license to be used as a part of payment for Window 10 Retail license.

I would really like to answer this question for you, however this information has been reserved for the Microsoft team because they have the access to billing and account information and process.

Please don't worry what we can do is ask them directly I am pretty sure they will be able to provide a solution for your request.

Thank you again for letting us know about your inquiry talshachar.

I am glad that I was able to answer some of your question.

Please continue to have an excellent and safe day.

Best Regards,

Anthony De Jesus
Independent Advisor

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I don't want to buy a new OEM license each time I buy a new computer and\or motherboard ...

Why would you have to buy a new OEM license?

Also, keep this in mind: Whether OEM or Retail, a Windows license can only be installed on one computer at a time. Aside from the difference in support, the only difference between an OEM license and a Retail license, is that an OEM must stay with the computer on which it was originally installed, while a Retail license can be moved from one PC to another PC. Even so, it can only activate 1 computer at a time.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Neilpzz 

Thank you for answering. 

I know where to buy a retail licence for windows 10 pro, I just don't know if I can upgrade the license without paying full price for the product, but just to pay the license upgrade price. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I don't want to buy a new OEM license each time I buy a new computer and\or motherboard ...

Why would you have to buy a new OEM license?

Also, keep this in mind: Whether OEM or Retail, a Windows license can only be installed on one computer at a time. Aside from the difference in support, the only difference between an OEM license and a Retail license, is that an OEM must stay with the computer on which it was originally installed, while a Retail license can be moved from one PC to another PC. Even so, it can only activate 1 computer at a time.

It's OK with me that I can have the retail version only on one computer at a time. lets say a steam roller accidentally rides on my PC. In OEM license the steam roller destroys my windows as well. but in the retail license, the steam roller destroys only my PC because I can re install my windows on a new PC, so I buy new PC without buying windows again.

I know it's not logic that a steam roller will ride on my PC, but just for the example (-:

7 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 2, 2024 Views 9,127 Applies to: