Is it possible to disable password sign in, but enable Windows Hello or pin to sign in to a PC

Because face recognition, fingerprint or Yubikey are more secure, I want to disable password sign in on my computer. I tried netplwiz and unchecking 'user must enter a user name and password to use this computer', but then the PC starts without any sign in option, so no security at all.
Is it possible to disable password sign in, but sign in with Windows Hello (face recognition, fingerprint and/or Yubikey)?
Hi JDPrins41,

It is not possible to turn off the password while using Windows Hello. However, when you reach the log in screen, you should be able to click the different authentication options under the password field to use those and not the password.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello,

Password sign-in is very basic and primary credential provider for Windows 10 systems and can't be disabled. There are recent scenarios where PIN sign-in stopped working overnight due to some faulty updates. Password sign-in was savior in such type of cases. Hence recommend you to have password sign-in always enabled on your machine.

Regards.
_____________________________________________________________________________________

Helping Windows users, since 2010 · Please remember to mark replies as answers, if they helps!

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I know you can choose different options. But for safety it would be good that you could disable password sign-in. face recognition or a Yubikey are much safer then a simple password.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I understand that a second option to sign-in is necessary, but a password isn't safe. It would be good that you could use face recognition, fingerprint and/or other authentication device. Those are 3 safer options than a password or pin. 

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 29, 2024 Views 2,568 Applies to: