I/O ERROR OCCURED. PROCESS ABORTED

I HAVE WINDOWS VISTA PREMIUM HOME EDITION ON A HP G60-235DX.

EVERY TIME I TRY TO DOWNLOAD PHOTOS FROM MY FUJIFILM S1800 USING FUJIFILM FINEPIX VIEWER, I GET THIS ERROR MESSAGE. I KNOW THAT THE CAMERA AND USB CABLE CONNECTIONS ARE FINE, BECAUSE I CAN ACQUIRE THE PHOTOS BY GOING THROUGH A BACK DOOR. AND I BELIEVE THE PROGRAM FOR FINEPIX VIEWER IS CORRECTLY INSTALLED BECAUSE I CAN GET THE DATA BY PLUGGING THE CHIP INTO THE COMPUTER PORT.

CAN ANYONE HELP ME FIND A FIX THAT WILL ALLOW ME TO DOWNLOAD MY PHOTOS USING THE CABLE?

MY PRIMARY EMAIL ADDRESS IS *** Email address is removed for privacy ***

Answer
Answer

Please don't type in all caps -  it's hard to read and is considered yelling (or for emphasis on a particular word or phrase only).

Has it ever worked using the cable?  Do you know when this problem began?  Try a System Restore to a point in time BEFORE the problem began.  Here's the procedure: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/using-windows-vista-system-restore/.  Be sure to check the box to show more than 5 days of restore points.  If the first attempt fails, then try an earlier point or two.  NOTE: You will have to re-install any software and updates you installed between now and the restore point, but you can use Windows Update for the updates.  Use the recovery disk if the system prompt doesn’t work. The recovery disk works a bit different from the above procedures but if you follow the prompts from the System Restore menu option with the above information you should be able to restore with no problems.

How it the cable attached  - to a USB port?  Try using a different port to make sure it isn't a problem with that porr.

Connect the device via cable and Go to Start / Control Panel / Device manager and confirm iti is listed.  Click on it and see if it reports any problems or it if say the device is functioning properly.

Go to Start / Computer and see if you see the device listed.  If so, double click on it to see if you can open it toview the files/pictures.  See if you can copy one picture to the desktop to make sure the connection is clean - that would pretty much rule out a bad cable or a problem with the cable connection hardware inside the device.  If so, that means Vista can see the device and the data so there's some other reason you can't download the photos using Finepix Viewer - and that may be a problem with the Viewer (even if it works when using the chip that's a different path and uses different files and program to do the download).  If the above all checks out, I would try to uninstall and reinstall the Finepix Viewer.  It may or may not solve the problem but it's worth a try.  If it is not listed that may either be normal or a problem - I'm not sure how the device functions with Vista.

If that doesn't work, you may be having troubles with your device drivers.  Go to Device Manager by going tostart / search box and type device manager and enter and then double-click on the program icon that appears.  Check each device for a red x, yellow ! or white ?.  These identify devices with problems (probably drivers, but also conflicts or something else).  Click on each for further details and troubleshooting tips.  If you need to get drivers (and you need  for the Fujifilm SL800 and any others you have time to do - they may help in ways beyond just resolving this problem but that can wait until later when you have the time), do so from the computer vendor or device manufacturer (NOT from Microsoft Updates).  In fact, you should turn off automatic driver updates from Windows Update as follows: http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/how-to-disable-automatic-driver-installation-in-windows-vista/. Proceed as follows to get the drivers: http://pcsupport.about.com/od/driverssupport/ht/driverdlmfgr.htm.  Once you have the drivers, you can install them through Device Manager as follows: http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/193584-device-manager-install-driver.html.

The only ohter thing I can think of is there may be a hardware problem with the cable or the cable connection hardware in the device.  For that you would need to contact the manufactuerer's technical support department for assistance and service or replacement - but if you can tranfer data through Windows Explorer (assuming that worked) using the cable then that doesn't seem very likely.  If you couldn't transfer through Windows Explorer then that may either be mormal or proof there is a hardware problem of some sort.  The manufacturer should be able to answer that question.

I hope this helps.

Good luck!

Lorien - MCSE/MCSA/Network+/A+ --- If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated August 1, 2019 Views 2,208 Applies to: