Question
Applies to

Internet disconnects every hour for a second then reconnects

Ktdream asked on

Duplicate Post-

After running Windows Update, my internet disconnects every hour for a second then reconnects

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-networking/after-running-windows-update-my-internet/8c53caa4-8323-4c51-9bd7-4e1c8c40980e

When I do updates with Windows Update (Windows 7), I begin to have the issue of my internet disconnecting every hour like clockwork. For example if it disconnects at 1:18 pm then unless I restart I can expect it at 2:18 pm and 3:18 pm and so on. My spouse's computer is on the same network/router and doesn't have the issue so I know its something with Windows 7/Windows Update.

This problem started a few months ago, but until past few days (3/19/2013), I just ran 'Fix problems with Windows Update' and the issue seemed to be resolved. At the moment, running the repair does not seem to fix it. With some programs and online games this causes a great deal of frustration.

87 people had this question

Abuse history

Most Helpful Reply
Ktdream replied on

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-networking/windows-7-network-disconnects-and-reconnects/704ba416-7e9e-4440-b5cd-9c7294ae6dd6?tab=AllReplies#tabs

"Method 1:

Uninstall and re-install the most updated drivers for your network adapter. To do that click on start, in the instant search window type in devmgmt.msc. This should bring up the device manager. Right click on the network adapter listed below click on uninstall. Now go to your computer manufacturer’s website and download the latest drivers for your network adapter and install them.
Reset TCP/IP

Method 2: Reset Transmission Control Protocol / Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)

The reset command is available in the IP context of the NetShell utility. Follow these steps to use the reset command to reset TCP/IP manually:

1. To open a command prompt, click Start and then click Run. Copy and paste (or type) the following command in the Open box and then press ENTER: cmd
2. At the command prompt, copy and paste (or type) the following command and then press ENTER:

netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt

Note If you do not want to specify a directory path for the log file, use the following command:

netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt

3. Reboot the computer."

These helped me - not had the problem since knock on wood.

Thank you

5 people found this helpful

Abuse history

progress