Internet Connection Sharing won't start

I have used this service before, and it has worked. Now i get Error 1068 Dependencies failed to start. I have traced the issue back to the Secure Socket Protocol Service, and then:

How do I make this start? 

Thanks in advance!

Duplicate Thread content -
Internet Connection sharing refuses to start
I have been having problems with Internet Connection Sharing. My previous topic is at http://tinyurl.com/p56sll2. I tried everything suggested there, but to no avail. Below is a short video that I made to demonstrate the error message I get and the steps I took to get there.

The Secure Socket Tunneling Protocol Service is the problem. As I demonstrate, it starts and then immediately stops. How do I make it stay on to start ICS? Thanks in advance!

http://youtu.be/hkbQc7hfyE

Hello,

Welcome to Microsoft Community Forum.

Please reply to these questions, to understand the issue better:

1. Are you using Administrator account?
2. Which security software are you using?
3. Do you remember making any changes to the system prior to this issue?

I would suggest you to try the following methods:

Method 1: To resolve this issue, make sure that all dependent services have been started. To do this, follow these steps: 

1. Click Start, type services.msc “without quotes “in the Start search box and press Enter.

2. Services Window will open; check if all the services listed below is running,

a). Application Layer Gateway Service

b). Network Connections

c). Network Location Awareness (NLA)

d). Plug and Play

e). Remote Access Auto Connection Manager

f). Remote Access Connection Manager

g). Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

h). Telephony

If the services are not running,

a. Click on a particular service.

b. Under service status, click on start

c. Click on ok.

d. Reboot the computer.

e. After Windows restarts, rerun the Internet Connection Sharing Wizard.

Method 2: Try to start the service after disabling the Antivirus and Firewall from your computer temporarily by following the below link:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Disable-antivirus-software

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Turn-Windows-Firewall-on-or-off

Note: Antivirus software can help protect your computer against viruses and other security threats. In most cases, you shouldn't disable your antivirus software. If you have to temporarily disable it to install other software, you should re-enable it as soon as you're done. If you're connected to the Internet or a network while your antivirus software is disabled, your computer is vulnerable to attacks.

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Thank you 

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I have already done this. Remote Access Connection Manager gives me the same Error 1068. It's dependencies are Telephony, which is started, and the Secure Socket Tunneling Protocol Service, and when I tried to start that, I get the error:

All of its dependencies are running, but it just starts then stops.

I am on my administrator account, I use Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and Spybot. I don't recall making any changes.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,
Thank you for giving a try to the steps, please try some more methods in order to fix the issue.

Method 1:
Try to run a System File Checker (SFC) scan to check for any files corruption:
  1. Go to Start, click All Programs and open Accessories.
  2. Right click on Command Prompt in the Program list and then select Run as administrator. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type your password, or click Continue.
  3. In the Command Prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:

sfc /scannow

For more information refer to this link:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833/en-us

Method 2:

If Method 1 does not help, try these steps:
Remove the unwanted EAP (Extensible Authentication Protocol) entries from registry.
  1. Click Start, type regedit in the Start Search box.
  2. Select regedit in the Programs list. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type your password or hit Enter.
  3. Browse to the location HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\RasMan\PPP\EAP
  4. Identify the subkey used by your modem.
  5. Delete the other subkeys other than the default (13, 25 and 26 are default).
Important: This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
How to back up and restore the registry in Windows

Method 3:
If Method 2 does not help please try to uninstall & reinstall the network adapters:
  1. Open Device Manager by clicking the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Security, and then, under System, clicking Device Manager. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
  2. In the list of hardware categories, find and expand the Network Adapters and select the Bluetooth device driver that you want to update, and then double-click the device name.
  3. Click the Driver tab, click Update Driver, and then follow the instructions. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Hope this information is helpful. If the issue still persists, please post back for further assistance, we'll be glad to assist you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Nope. Method 1 fixed some things, but did not work. In Method 2, only the defaults were listed. Method 3, it reported that my driver was up to date.

I appreciate the help, but still no cigar.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Please try to create a new user account and check if the service is working:

If it works in a new user account then you need to fix the corrupt user profile. You may visit this link for the steps:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/Windows7/Fix-a-corrupted-user-profile

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi, Please try to create a new user account and check if the service is working Still no. I don't know what the **** has happened to the thing, I have done everything I can think of, and everything that you all have told me to do, and it still hasn't worked. Is this something I will have to take to a professional?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,

Thank for contacting Microsoft Community Forum.

After looking to your previous post I come to know that you have performed almost all of the basic steps so now I would suggest you to perform In-Place Upgrade and check if it helps.

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade on Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 & Windows Server

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2255099

Note: Performing a repair installation will not damage files and applications that are currently installed on your computer.

Note: Ensure that you back up all your data before you begin the installation.

Refer to the link to backup files on the larger drive before installing the operating system:
Back up your files.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows7/back-up-your-files 

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance with Windows, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Ramesh Kumar.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated November 11, 2020 Views 1,926 Applies to: