Intenet Connections - Cannot connect to the ATT wireless internet in my apartment building

I have been trying to connect to ATT wireless internet in my apt building --my 2 roommates can connect without problems - but I cannont get on.  We have this a a secured internet and are sharing it amount 6 of us - I am the only one not able to get on.  I do not even make it as far as entering the password.  I can go to school and connect to the campus wireless without problems and I can go to my parents house and connect wireless without issues.  This summer, I did convert my PC from Windows Vista to Windows 7.  Does anyone have any suggestions?
Answer
Answer

Hi

That means that the Wireless adapter cannot connect and obtain info from the Router.

Ask whoever can connect to the Router to connect to the Router's menus and make sure that the MAC filter is Not On, and that there is enough IPs in the DHCP Range.

If the above is OK and it does not connect, then temporarily disable the Router's security and try to connect when it is open.

If it does connect with No security then redo the security with new password.

Make sure that whatever security is used it is compatible with your Computer’s Wireless.

Wireless in general.

Most Laptops have a physical switch for the Wireless card. Read the computer's manual and make sure that the Wireless card is On.

Check the Device Manager for valid Wireless card entry.

http://www.ezlan.net/Win7/net_dm.jpg

If there is No valid entry, delete any Bogus Entry, and re-install the Wireless card's Drivers.

Check the Network connections to make sure that you have a Wireless Network Connection Icon/Entry, and that the Properties of the Icon (right click on the Icon) are correctly configured with TCP/IPv4 protocol in the Network Connections Properties.

http://www.ezlan.net/Win7/net_connection_tcp.jpg

Make sure that if there is a vendor's Wireless Utility the utility is Not Running together with the Windows native Wireless utility.

Make sure that No Firewall is preventing/blocking the Wireless components to get to the Network.

If everything above is OK and it is not connecting to the Wireless router. Log from any computer that is, or can be connected to Wireless Router with a Wire, disable the Wireless Security, make sure that the Wireless broadcast is On, and try to connect with No Wireless security.

When working turn On the Wireless security.

Note* People sometimes make mistakes in writing and retyping the security passphrase.

Alternative way is to copy it from the Router's menu, and then paste when asked by the Wireless card.

--------------------------------------------------

I really checked and configured every thing and it does Not work.

Software Firewall application that is Not configured to allow local traffic (between the computer and the Router is a possible issue too.
some 3rd party Software Firewalls keep blocking aspects of Local Traffic even it they are turned Off (disabled). If possible configure the Firewall correctly, or totally uninstall it to allow clean flow of local network traffic. If the 3rd party software is uninstalled or disables, make sure that Windows native Firewall is On .

Jack-MVP Windows Networking. WWW.EZLAN.NET
Jack MVP, Microsoft Windows Desktop Experience-Networking.

www.EZLAN.net

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated January 11, 2020 Views 2,779 Applies to: