[Intel HD Graphics 620]-"Device not started (igfx)" - that's what it said on the driver's events properties

Can anyone provide me some info on why is this happening and hopefully some fixes too? PLEASE! I need a solution for this quickly. It's affecting my gameplay.

Device Manager> Display Adapters> Intel HD Graphics 620> Properties> Events

Information:

Device PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_5921&SUBSYS_078B1028&REV_06\3&11583659&0&10 had a problem starting.

Driver Name: oem14.inf

Class Guid: {4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}

Service: igfx

Lower Filters:

Upper Filters:

Problem: 0x0

Problem Status: 0xC00000E5

For everybody's information, I did not receive any error messages, I just started to feel that my laptop is running really slow and stuttery, especially when playing games. The reason why I have this kind of error or whatever this is, was because I attempted to fix the "intel graphics settings missing" issue on the context menu. I searched online for tutorials then, WITHOUT further research and WITHOUT uninstalling the current Display Adapter/Driver, I immediately installed a non-beta version of Intel HD Graphics 620 on intel's download center website because that is what I saw in tutorials. After I realized what I had done, at first, I performed a system restore in attempting to undo what I did, but the problem still persisted. So then, as you can see in the picture, I tried to reinstall the driver, but the problem still persisted.

When I started playing the game that I have been playing for quite a while now, it became so laggy, stutters started to happen all over the match.

I am running Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1 (build 19043. 1237).

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Sean,
My name is Igor, I have 12 Microsoft MVP awards. It's a pleasure for me to help others and I'll do all my best to help you. I'm sorry you have a problems.

Please reinstall graphic drivers from PC/motherboard support site.
Repair system files by
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
command from Windows PowerShell (administrator) environment.

And unfortunately this may mean hardware problems too. Did you re-insert CPU or changed thermo interface recently?
------------------
if you'll find someone's post helpful, mark it as an answer and rate it please. This will help other users to find answers to their similar questions.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Indeed the tutorial could have caused a problem as things are complicated today and people making tutorials don't always see all the consequences. However, if the driver is for the 620 and you have a 620 then it should have been fine that way. You shouldn't have to uninstall the current driver and you can install a driver from Intel's website if they offer a directly compatible one - these two things shouldn't cause a failure in of themselves though a clean or "clean" install is always recommended. If the tutorial had you do something weird or strange like edit the registry or copy other files or something then things could be messed up.

I see DDU has Intel listed but don't know the extent it can clean the Intel driver so it might be another way. With Nvidia there's zero reason to use DDU as the Nvidia driver has a clean install option during updates and I've used that setting to 100% no driver issues (been using that setting for most of Windows 10's existence). So if Intel has one somewhere in the update installer then it should be all you need.

I don't think you have a hardware failure unless the driver is a coincidence and it was failing before it without you noticing. Possible but less likely.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Sean,
My name is Igor, I have 12 Microsoft MVP awards. It's a pleasure for me to help others and I'll do all my best to help you. I'm sorry you have a problems.

Please reinstall graphic drivers from PC/motherboard support site.
Repair system files by
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
command from Windows PowerShell (administrator) environment.

And unfortunately this may mean hardware problems too. Did you re-insert CPU or changed thermo interface recently?

No, I did not do any changes or re-inserting, anything CPU or thermo related.

Speaking of reinstalling graphic drivers, I just recently installed a graphics driver installer (exe) that was from my laptop's site (Dell). But it's not the same as the Intel Graphics driver I currently have. It's Intel, but not intel 620 like I previously mentioned ....it doesn't have numbers in it. I did not yet install this to my device, I just installed the graphics driver installer. Look at this:

Questions:

If I install this driver(that driver shown in the picture), assuming that this will fix the problem, will it be a downgrade?? And WILL IT FIX the problem?

And by the way, can I ask if what do you mean by DISM.exe? Is that an application/software that I need to install or do I just type that on my Windows PowerShell(Administrator)???

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you! I appreciate your response.

But no, I did not do anything weird or strange like edit the registry or copy other files or something. The tutorial I chose to watch was a 2-option fix, the first one was too hassle and it involved editing registry or something, copying texts, so I skipped the first and I did the second fix which was installing a similar graphics driver in the intel download center, believing it will work.

Buuutt..... it did not fix the "intel graphics settings missing" issue on the context menu at all. It only made my PC worse :((. So I performed a system restore but it did not work. It was still laggy when I'm playing. It was never lag before.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Sorry but only hardware manufacturer may say if the driver is fully compatible with operating system. There is a set of hardware compatibility tests, long enough, and I did not heard about home user wants to run these tests.

Dism.exe is a built-in command, it is a part of Windows and often is used for deploying, or health checking, or system repairing.

Dell's driver is preferrable, hardware manufacturers may make snall changes in hardware and so special driver may be required.
------------------
if you'll find someone's post helpful, mark it as an answer and rate it please. This will help other users to find answers to their similar questions.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I did the Dism.exe thing......it didn't work:(((

PLEASE I NEED A SOLUTION FOR THIS

Should I try the graphics driver from my manufacturer's website instead?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes, try this driver.

And please show a command window with DISM command and its results.
------------------

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

OK so I tried the manufacturer's graphics driver. So it turns out its the same driver....Intel HD Graphics 620. I restarted my PC, then I went back to Device Manager>Display Adapters>Intel HD Graphics 620>Properties>Events....to see if it worked. Well it didn't say "Device not started(igfx)". It said something else...look at this:

Information:

Driver Management has concluded the process to add Service igfxCUIService2.0.0.0 for Device Instance ID PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_5921&SUBSYS_078B1028&REV_06\3&11583659&0&10 with the following status: 0.

So I checked to see if I can play my game smoothly now. Well, it turned out to be still laggy, but not laggy as before though. So then I tried to find any updates for this new driver, in attempt to fully fix my gameplay, and when I did and when I installed the update, the problem/error went back....It said "Device not started(igfx)" again. It turns out that when I update the driver, the device won't start. Remember this was the driver in my manufacturer's website.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Oh and by the way, here's a command window with DISM command and its results:

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Dism was completed successfully, no errors.

As for playing, could it be you've had another graphic adapter too? And seems you need to ask for updates Dell's support, generic Intel drivers cause errors as you can see.

Intel HD Graphics 620 is a device name, not driver name so you'll see it with different driver versions installed.
------------------

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

OK so I run Dxdiag and I copied the information about my display devices and found this:
I highlighted the important parts:......
---------------

Display Devices

---------------

Device name: Intel(R) HD Graphics 620

Manufacturer: Intel Corporation

Chip type: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family

DAC type: Internal

Device Type: Full Device (POST)

Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_5921&SUBSYS_078B1028&REV_06

Device Status: 0180200A [DN_DRIVER_LOADED|DN_STARTED|DN_DISABLEABLE|DN_NT_ENUMERATOR|DN_NT_DRIVER]

Device Problem Code: No Problem

Driver Problem Code: Unknown

Display Memory: 6204 MB

Dedicated Memory: 128 MB

Shared Memory: 6076 MB

Current Mode: 1366 x 768 (32 bit) (60Hz)

HDR Support: Not Supported

Display Topology: Internal

Display Color Space: DXGI_COLOR_SPACE_RGB_FULL_G22_NONE_P709

Color Primaries: Red(0.589844,0.349609), Green(0.329102,0.554688), Blue(0.152344,0.118164), White Point(0.312500,0.328125)

Display Luminance: Min Luminance = 0.500000, Max Luminance = 270.000000, MaxFullFrameLuminance = 270.000000

Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor

Monitor Model: unknown

Monitor Id: BOE0674

Native Mode: 1366 x 768(p) (59.999Hz)

Output Type: Internal

Monitor Capabilities: HDR Not Supported

Display Pixel Format: DISPLAYCONFIG_PIXELFORMAT_32BPP

Advanced Color: Not Supported

Driver Name(Main Driver): C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\ki125183.inf_amd64_cb49708b33bad074\igdumdim64.dll,C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\ki125183.inf_amd64_cb49708b33bad074\igd10iumd64.dll,C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\ki125183.inf_amd64_cb49708b33bad074\igd10iumd64.dll,C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\ki125183.inf_amd64_cb49708b33bad074\igd12umd64.dll

Driver File Version: 22.20.0016.4836 (English)

Driver Version: 22.20.16.4836

DDI Version: 12

Feature Levels: 12_1,12_0,11_1,11_0,10_1,10_0,9_3,9_2,9_1

Driver Model: WDDM 2.2

Hardware Scheduling: Supported:False Enabled:False

Graphics Preemption: Triangle

Compute Preemption: Thread

Miracast: Supported

Detachable GPU: No

Hybrid Graphics GPU: Integrated

Power P-states: Not Supported

Virtualization: Not Supported

Block List: DISABLE_HWSCH

Catalog Attributes: N/A

Driver Attributes: Final Retail

Driver Date/Size: 10/17/2017 8:00:00 AM, 65449872 bytes

WHQL Logo'd: Yes

WHQL Date Stamp: Unknown

Device Identifier: {D7B78E66-1A61-11CF-7C61-9B27BDC2DB35}

Vendor ID: 0x8086

Device ID: 0x5921

SubSys ID: 0x078B1028

Revision ID: 0x0006

Driver Strong Name: oem7.inf:5f63e534f32e66d8:iKBLD_w10_DS:22.20.16.4836:pci\ven_8086&dev_5921&subsys_078b1028

Rank Of Driver: 00D10001

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 30, 2024 Views 5,200 Applies to: