INSTALLING Windows 7 or 10 on older Dell Inspiron 6000

I have an older DELL INSPIRON 6000 XP 32 BIT with 2 GIG Ram and 1.6 Ghz Processor and a 160 Gig hard drive. It originally had XP on it and my friend put Linuxlite on it. I wanted to put Windows 7 on it and with a USB ISO on it and everything worked great, it updated probably 250 updates and ran perfectly for such an old laptop.Should have left it alone. I tried to put a Windows 10 ISO  just as I had done with the "7", but it would not fully install, so I WENT BACK TO THE "7" iso, but then it had wiped out my network , audio, and video drivers. Tried for a week to put drivers back on it with no success.. The drivers that were running the "7" the first time were already on the laptop. So I know the old lapton still runs..these ISO's simply do not have the drivers on them. If I purchased a full version of Windows 7 or 10 on DVD, would they have ALL the drivers on the DVD along with the OS because without them being on the disk, it will not work. Are the DVD's complete with everything you need ? Thanks.

Hello,

We appreciate your interest with Windows. The device manufacturer has the tools to look for your hardware concern. It would be best if you contact them for further diagnostics and troubleshooting. Also, we suggest that you check the manufacturer's website. Download and install the drivers that is compatible with your device.

If you have any questions or things you'd like to clarify, feel free to ask.

Regards.

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

It is extremely unlikely that drivers included with a Windows installation ISO are going to be compatible with your system since it would be quite a challenge for MS to include all the audio, video, network, printer (etc.) drivers for ever piece of computer hardware on the planet.  Sometimes you will get lucky and the default Windows 7 drivers will sort of work maybe.

After reinstalling Windows you need to visit the hardware manufacturers WWW Support site and download and install the specific drivers for your system.

If your "new" system can't get on the Internet because of missing network drivers you need to download the correct drivers for your hardware onto a working system, copy them to a USB thumb drive (or something like that) and carry them to the non working system and install them using the old fashioned Sneakernet.  Then when the new system is on the Internet you can download install the rest of the drivers you need.

You should visit the Dell Support site and enter your Dell Service Tag number and download the Windows 7 drivers you need.  If Dell does not have Windows 7 drivers for your system sometimes the Vista drivers will work with Windows 7.

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04?c=us&l=en&s=bsd

If you need help with that you need to tell us your Dell Service Tag number.

It sounds like if it was working before with Windows 7 you should be able to find the drivers somewhere but they aren't going to be on the Windows 7 ISO.

P.S.  If your Dell originally came with XP and you install Windows 7 and do not have a valid 25 character Windows 7 Product Key at some point the installation is likely to become non genuine.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for attempts to help with my problems with the drivers when installing Windows ISO onto  a Dell Inspiron 6000 XP. yES, i went to the Dell Support site and it was somewhat helpful with a couple of the drivers, but they did not show that my 2005 XP Service Tag even existed. I still could not get online with anybody's help. Found this websitte for Dell 6000 XP    http://www.downloadlaptopdrivers.net/2013/06/dell-inspiron-6000-drivers-for-windows.html   and it was super. Finished getting my drivers but still could not connect with my WIFI or  Ethernet. Simply by chance, when I was going to try to install the ISO again, I opened up my BIOS and there, of all places, was a box to turn wireless on/off. CLICK. My Wifi turned on showing all the access points. I felt like a fool, but I never would have looked there, nor had anyone ever said anything about the setting being there.So I may have installed some drivers I didn't need, but...SO thanks again guys for support and help...all is well. 

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Sounds like some good detective work!

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks, yes it did take a good bit of digging, but, more to the point. I think that too many give up on some of these older great PC's and laptops and run out and buy another, but with a little time and patience, these older computers can be upgraded(if possible) and you get the joy of learning much more about them besides Facebook and YouTube. Thanks again...Hutch

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 17, 2024 Views 5,513 Applies to: