Installing Windows 10, stuck on "it's taking a bit longer than usual, but it should be ready soon" screen for about 29 hours now

Help please! I went through the full scheduling and installation process for installing Windows 10 after the dialog popped up promoting me to upgrade on my Windows 7 machine.  Everything appeared to be going smoothly when I woke up and it had me log in and accept the data retrieval screen.  After that it said it was doing done final installations and I've been stuck on this screen since then (yesterday morning).

Is there anything I can do about this? The screen says not to turn the computer off, though I feel left with no other options at this point... 

Thanks for any help in advance

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand that you are facing difficulties installing Windows10. We will help you to resolve the issue.

I suggest you to remove all the external devices connected to the computer and restart and check if it helps to resolve the issue.

If the issue persists, I suggest you to download the latest ISO of Windows 10 and perform installation.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Hope the information helps. Let us know if you need further assistance. We will be happy to help.

Thank you.

12 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi, thanks for the response.  

I ended up restarting my computer, and it was able to boot up with the mew windows 10 installation.  However, I had many difficulties with the large number of startup programs, some were mine from 7, and many were new.  Basically every time my computer would start, it would slowly grind to a halt and was stuck with the cursor showing a loading symbol and unable to open any programs or even shut down, so I'd have to hold the power button to restart.

I found that after restarting I had a minute or so gap where I was able to open programs and I was able to make changes to programs in my startup by using the task manager.  Now things appear to be running smoothly, and I have turned back on only the programs I need at startup.

However, there is still a fairly frustrating issue when I put my computer to sleep.  When I push the power button to wake it up, the fan in the computer starts up, but my monitors remain black and unresponsive to mouse or keyboard input.  I have to hold the power button to restart the computer, and it starts back up again.  Kind of a pain so I leave it running, but I'd prefer it to sleep so I could save some electricity.  Any help or things to check would be appreciated.

11 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Will,

Thank you for your reply and apology for the delayed response. Appreciate the time taken by you in keeping us updated on the status of the issue.

It's remarkable that you got almost all the problems on your computer resolved. I really appreciate all your efforts towards getting these issues resolved on your computer. Let's work together and get this sleep mode issue resolved as well.

This issue could be caused due to some incorrect power settings or due to some corrupt or incompatible driver. I would suggest you to try these steps and check.

RunPower troubleshooter

The power troubleshooter can automatically detect and fix any incorrect power settings. Refer to these steps to run this troubleshooter:

1. Press Windows key +F to bring up the searchCharms bar.
  2. Select settings in the drop down menu below search and type Troubleshooting.
  3. Click on Troubleshooting and select the view alloption on the left pane.
  4. Click on Powertroubleshooter and follow the prompts.

If the power troubleshooter didn’t detect any incorrect settings, then it is possible that the issue is caused by an incompatible or corrupt driver. When the computer goes to sleep mode, Windows sends a request to all hardware parts asking to enter sleep mode. But if the driver for a particular hardware part (like a network adapter or graphic card) is corrupt, it might not respond to these requests and may prevent the computer from entering sleep mode. To resolve this, I would suggest you to run Windows update to make sure that you have installed the latest drivers for all the devices. Refer to the section ‘To check for updates’ in this article:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/windows-update-faq

Hope this helps. Please do let us know the results. Feel free to write us back for any further assistance with Windows, we'll be glad to assist you.

Regards,
Mann Manohar

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 18, 2024 Views 65,750 Applies to: