Installing updates hangs at 13%

Yes.  An update for Windows 8 has been released that addresses a set of post-launch issues.  You will not be notified that this update is available during the first 24 hours after you run Windows 8 for the first time, however you can manually check for and install this update at any time.

If you are experiencing any problems with your Windows 8 installation, make sure you have installed the latest updates by following these steps:

1.     At the Start screen, type Windows Update.

2.     Tap or click Settings.

3.     Tap or click Install optional updates.

4.     Tap or click the link that says an important update is available.  If you want to install any optional updates that are available, you can click the link notifying you that optional updates are available as well.

Check all of the updates you want to install and then tap or click the Install button.  You will need to reboot your PC after installing the update for the changes to go into effect.
Installed Windows 7 midday October 25th, performed update and when installing it hangs at 13% complete for hours and then will restart continues to configure windows updates, remains at 13%.... Now stuck.  Cold boot right back to 13% and stops.  

So for hours now the only thing I see is the nice blue screen saying configuring updates.... I knew I should have waited until sp1 was released .

Any thoughts?
|

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Rick,

Your post was split from another thread and i do not see that thread anywhere so i want to apologize if this is off topic or has been suggested to you already.

If you are running into the 13% hang or stop with KB2756872. this can be caused by an outdated or not fully compatible driver and or Antivirus programs.

Take a look at the article here for more information.

Please let us know!

Thanks!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I have the same problem. I tried the suggestions in the article but it still hangs at 13%  Any other suggestions? 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

As you see the quick response was,  "If you are running into the 13% hang or stop with KB2756872. this can be caused by an outdated or not fully compatible driver and or Antivirus programs."

An outdated or not fully compatible driver and or Antivirus programs is NOT the problem.

I called MS Technical Support yesterday and after an hour and a half remote session the tech failed to figure out the issue.  An engineer is to call me back today.

Below is the failure.  This update has been attempted eight times.  All video and audio drivers were updated.  Comodo Internet Security Premium was shutdown.

Using msconfig various services were shutdown... and updated was attempted.  This update takes almost an hour to install and fail.

Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x800F0920: Update for Windows 8 for x64-based Systems (KB2756872).

HP Pavilion g7 Notebook
Windows 8 Pro 64-bit
8 GB RAM
600 GB hard drive

Also I am still waiting for an engineer to call... was scheduled an 90 minutes ago.... if I hear from anyone I will be shocked.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

By chance is your computer an HP?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

RNelson

I'm not sure what all steps the support tech had you try, but I found another user with the same error code 0x800F0920 and instead of updating the audio driver they removed it and the Window updates worked correctly.

KB 2756872 Update Error 0x800f0920

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

By chance is your computer an HP?
Yes. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Uninstalled video and audio drivers... still only got to 13%... I am done with this cumulative update.  Just going to hide it and pretend that Microsoft put out a fully tested product against all possible models of computers.

I will see what happens with the next updates that I am sure will come quickly as problems and vulnerabilities are discovered.  More than likely since everything currently runs fine I will wait until SP1 is released.

I should not have upgraded to Window 8 as it only provides is a new layered GUI with those that are heavily tied to a Hotmail or live email account.  I feel as if it was just dumbed down.
Nobody in their right mind should ever upgrade to this in a corporate environment. As a retired IT professional I am embarrassed to admit I even purchased a Win8 product. This is the equivalent of Windows Millennium...

I have been a Windows user since version 1.1   Thank goodness I didn't upgrade my Windows 7 Ultimate laptop.  I own two HP laptops, two iPhones, and a new iPad... I should have purchased  a MacBook  Pro.

I never did get a call from an engineer as promised yesterday and scheduled for this morning.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Just an update to the below... never did get the call... just hiding the update and running fine. 

Uninstalled video and audio drivers... still only got to 13%... I am done with this cumulative update.  Just going to hide it and pretend that Microsoft put out a fully tested product against all possible models of computers.

I will see what happens with the next updates that I am sure will come quickly as problems and vulnerabilities are discovered.  More than likely since everything currently runs fine I will wait until SP1 is released.

I should not have upgraded to Window 8 as it only provides is a new layered GUI with those that are heavily tied to a Hotmail or live email account.  I feel as if it was just dumbed down.
Nobody in their right mind should ever upgrade to this in a corporate environment. As a retired IT professional I am embarrassed to admit I even purchased a Win8 product. This is the equivalent of Windows Millennium...

I have been a Windows user since version 1.1   Thank goodness I didn't upgrade my Windows 7 Ultimate laptop.  I own two HP laptops, two iPhones, and a new iPad... I should have purchased  a MacBook  Pro.

I never did get a call from an engineer as promised yesterday and scheduled for this morning.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

For all of us having trouble and using an HP computer.... you are not going to be happy!  Just click and read:
Upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 8

or if you want to copy and paste....

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c03451712&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Having the same exact issue running a HP Pavillion dv6. Great seeing the blue screen attempting to update over and over and over again 

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated January 7, 2021 Views 8,519 Applies to: