Installing Movie Maker on Windows 10

I had Movie Maker working on Windows 8.1. When I upgraded to Windows 10 Movie Maker stopped accepting mp4 video files from my camera. I tried to uninstall and reinstall Movie Maker but to no avail. I then decided to revert to Windows 8.1 to get Movie Maker to work. Movie Maker did not show as installed in Window 8.1. I tried to install the complete Windows Essentials 2012 package without success. I then reinstalled Windows 10, and updated the graphics, sound and motherboard drivers.

If I try to install Windows Essentials 2012 now it tells me all its programs are installed. None of these programs are available anywhere. Furthermore, Windows Essentials does not show up in Programs and Features so I can't uninstall it. How can I resolve this issue bearing in mind that all I need is Movie Maker to work?

Can you look in C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Photo Gallery and see if you have a MovieMaker.exe?

If so, right-click on it and chose Pin to start or Pin to taskbar.

Also, what's the make/model of your camera?

17 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I have removed all references to Movie Maker/Photo Gallery on my hard drive including the registry in an attempt to convince the computer I have no programs from Windows Essentials installed to no avail so I don't have Photo Gallery in that location. I have been using Movie Maker with mp4 files from my Sony action camera in Windows 8.1 without any problems.

What did help at the end was an app called wlarp.exe which I found a link for in one of your forums from 2013. It appears Microsoft developed a special app to remove Windows Essentials from the computer... After running wlarp.exe I could run the setup program to reinstall programs from Widows Essentials. I selected the "Choose programs you want to install" option. The setup gave me the option of installing Messenger, Mail and Writer from scratch which I unticked. Microsoft OneDrive and Movie Maker/Photo Gallery were under the heading "These programs will be updated". Unfortunately the setup program failed to complete giving me the following error message:

An unknown error occurred

Error: 0x8007064c

Source: WLMimeFilter-amd64

Can you provide assistance here?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

yes I looked at this thread as well as a few others. None of the suggestions worked (spending practically the whole weekend on it). I tried also some alternative video editing software. Somewhere along the way I picked up some malware that flooded my browser with ads. At that point I took the fairly drastic measure of running the Reset this PC utility in Recovery section of the Settings. After that I could install Movie Maker and it is now running reasonably ok though I'm not sure if it is as stable as it was in Windows 8.1. Anyway as far as I'm concerned this issue is solved now. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

so the windows 8 version of windows movie maker works with windows 10?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I "upgraded " from W-7 Pro to W-10 and can develop movies from computer files, but cannot produce a DVD copy of this movie now that W-10 is my operating system. Otherwise, I like W-10

Fred S. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Movie Maker on my Dell computer with A-7 OS was an exceptional soft way for combining photos and video clips in a composite video, which I used for transferring to a DVD for playback on DVD/TV; however even though Movie Maker works with W-10, the DVD player that comes with W10 is not compatible with MM. I've tried to save movie to Windows a Media a Player, but still cannot make a DVD. 

It seems with all the publicity about W-10, someone at Microsoft should be able to develop a compatible package for DVD production comparable to what was available with W7&8!

Fred 

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated January 3, 2024 Views 10,390 Applies to: