Installing Hawking HWUG1 wireless USB adapter in Win7 Pro 64-bit laptop

Key point here is that this device will be installed automatically under Win7 64 and 32 bit systems, according toMicrosoft itself.

My problem was not knowing that at the start.   I pursued some blind alleys that wasted a lot of my time & forced me to clean up problems of my own creation.   Hawking's web site gives different information depending on what page you're on.   One page only gives drivers for WinVista & earlier.  Another shows a driver for Win7.  Neither one works, and both just cause problems.    

My Google search for the drivers provided a lot of bad information.

Finally I went to Microsoft directly, found that I could simply plug in the device, and it was recognized, but as a "RT73 USB Wireless LAN card" according to my Device Manager, not the name Hawking gave it.  I run a Lenovo R500 with a Lenovo-provided utility to manage all wireless devices, so once I located the RT73, I was able to configure it correctly & connect to my home wireless router in the same way my built-in wireless adapter did.

how did you get it to work? I've installed hwug1 for windows 7 but no luck. and now i get this message "the settings saved on this computer for the network do not match the requirements of the network" I get all the available connections but when I try to connect I get the message, did you do anything different?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

It's been over 2 weeks since I've used my HWUG1 interface, so the details are fuzzy at the moment.  You say "I've installed hwug1 for windows 7 but no luck."  I'm not sure what you mean by this.

I did not install (or if I did, I later removed it) any of the useless software Hawking had on their website.  I just plugged the HWUG1 into a USB port on my laptop and followed the default Microsoft methods for installing the drivers as Windows 7 'thought' best.   After this was done I went to Device Manager (under the Control Panel) menu, and my HWUG1 was identified as an "RT73 USB Wireless LAN card" and flagged as working properly.   Did you ever get that far?  If not, you failed to install the device, any further error messages won't be relevant.

The error message "the settings saved" etc. imply the device you are attempting to use to connect to the network is improperly configured.   That may not have much to do with the HWUG1.    What other "Network Adapters" show up on your Device Manager menu?  

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 10, 2020 Views 2,304 Applies to: