Installed Windows Pro instead of Home

Hi, I accidently downloaded Windows 10 Pro instead of Home. My digital license only works on Windows 10 Home, so it is not letting me activate the operating system. I created a boot drive from my previous laptop and I am trying to install windows 10 Home on a new PC. How can I uninstall the "Pro" version and install the correct "Home" Version?

***Moved from Windows / Windows 10 / Ease of access***

Answer
Answer

You need to boot from the install media in order to choose Home during setup. This means performing a clean install:

Setup will also prompt you to select the edition you have a license for - Home or Pro. Please make sure you choose the right edition. If you choose the wrong edition, your only option will be to perform a clean install again.

The copy of Windows 10 you download and upgrade from will correspond with the edition of Windows you have installed, if it does not, this is why you might be experiencing problems activating:

• Windows 7 Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium, Windows 8.0 Core, Windows 8.1 Core should install Windows 10 Home 

• Windows 7 Professional, Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows 8.0 Pro, Windows 8.1 Pro should install Windows 10 Pro

Best,
Andre
twitter/adacosta
groovypost.com

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

Windows 10 Installation media for Home and Pro is same.

Did you select Pro at the time of installation?

Unfortunately, the only way out is to do a clean Install of Windows 10 home.

Mark Yes below the post if it helped or resolved your problem

Opinions expressed are solely my own and do not represent the views or opinions of Microsoft.

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 15, 2024 Views 8,201 Applies to: